It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Flare Up

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
Ronnied
Veteran
(female)

Ronnied HB UserRonnied HB User
Flare Up

Hi everyone,

Need some advice (as its bank holiday weekend no docs around). Had major surgery 4 weeks ago, and been trying to get over that. My arthritis is being kept under control with steroids at mo, until over the major surgery, then going on dmards again. Thing is, because I am sitting at home all the time I have put a lot of weight on, and decided two weeks ago to cut my steroids down 1mg a day, and yesterday and today had massive flare up and ache head to toe. My wrists, knees, ankles and finger and toes are all swollen, so decided to up the steroid back to original dose, should I have done this?? Bit worried really. Doc told me I would flare up and should wait until over operation but wanted to lose some weight. Has anyone else done this or should I just stay on the prescribed dose every day? Arthritis is a debilitating miserable frustrating disease and I hate it, just want a day pain free, that would be nice.

Happy New Year to all of you.

Ronnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
Baybreeze
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: Flare Up

With steroids, you really should stay on the exact dose your doctor prescribes and the dose needs to be tapered down slowly, otherwise you will flare or even worse might get an adrenal crisis, which is an emergency. Of course it would be worse if youre taking higher doses, but steroids are definitely nothing to fool around with. When you take them for a while at certain dosages, your own body stops making it's own steroids & the drugs take over. So that is why it's very important to taper them & take them as prescribed. My rheumy was actually very clear with me when he first put me on oral prednisone for a bad flare. I started at 40mg per day and tapered off the drug over 8 months, very slowly. Even then , every time I tapered to a lower dose, I did flare up for about a week or 2. Yes, I gained alot of weight, too, which I hate...I even gain weight every time I get nerve blocks and spine epidurals....but these days for me, relieving my pain is much better than worrying about the weight gain. I know the steroid weight will slowly come off once Im done with the drugs. Please be very careful with the steroids, as they are very powerful & nothing to mess with. I would say keep taking it as it was prescribed.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Ronnied
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Baybreeze, I have been told off today by my hubby, said surely the steroids are better than the pain I am feeling today. So will carry on with the dose I am supposed to take and sort it with my rheumy in March. Appreciate your reply. At what mg did you actually stop taking the prednisolone? my doc said 3mg, did you go down that far when you stopped?

Ronnie

Last edited by Ronnied; 12-30-2007 at 01:47 AM.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #4
wen10
(female)

wen10 HB User

Hi ronnie,
sorry to hear you are not feeling too good. When i have bad flares i have gone up on the steroids sometimes from 10mg back up to 25mg, then every three days slowley come back down again. Over bank holidays if i have a problem i call the dr's on call or nhs direct, could you do that for some reassurance as to what to do? Hope you are feeling better today Ronnie. Takecare best wishes for the new year.
wenxxx.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Ronnied
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Wen,

Feel better now that I have upped the dose again, will speak to doc tomorrow. Thank you for your concern.

Happy New Year to you too xx

Ronnnie

Closed Thread