It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Arthritis or As suffers? PLease

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
monkey5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User
Arthritis or As suffers? PLease

Hi members, i have a ? This has happened a few times and some of you might remeber that i am wating to see a Rheumatologist next week, but i have been experiencing this and wondering if it is a possible part of AS or what? I will sometimes wake up and it will feel as if my chest doesn't want to move, like it's stuck, not like a hard a attack or heavy feeling, it's sorta actually hard to describe, but mostly like a stiffness in the lower part of the chest bone area and like i slowly have to move and like get a kink out of it. I am just wondering if this is contributing to my stomach issues!
Love, Monkey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
kera4
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User
Re: Arthritis or As suffers? PLease

Hi! I have ankylosing spondylitis and am currently on Remicade, low dose prednisone, Ultram. I mostly get pain in lower back, sacroiliac joint and knees. But, I know that AS can affect the ribcage joints as well. I have heard that a stiffness in the chest area can be a symptom of AS. Of all the medicines, Remicade has helped with flexibility the most. I still have pain, but it has helped me more than Enbrel or Humira. Take care, Kera4

Old 01-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
monkey5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Kera, thanks for the reply, thats what i thought it might be from, but have to wait to see the Rheumy to even know for sure and hopefully start treatment. Your symptoms are so similiar to mine as i have alot SI joint pain, hip and low back, leg and knee and back of ankle pain especially after walking too much and alot of stiffness in the am and better after i move around. Take care!
Love, Monkey

Old 01-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
maebelle
(female)

maebelle HB User

Monkey, I also experience rib cage tightness and stiffness.Years ago it would kind of come and go.I was told it was costochondritis.Sometimes when I sit or twist in a certain way my right rib cage feels as though something is portruding.Then after a while it falls back into place.Sounds weird I know.
It is very hard to describe.
I still have this as well as what feels like pressure around my ribcage.
Like I am being squeezed or tightened with a screwdriver.Especially across my back.

My pain is in my neck,shoulders,middle and lower back.They all feel like rocks.
My hip area down the sides of my thighs and both knees are stiff and painful.
Let me know what happens with your rheumy appt.Be sure to tell him everything you are experiencing.
Did you get the results of the colonoscopy?

I am waiting on enbrel to be delivered via mail.I had to have a TB test which was neg.When the enbrel arrives I will go to the rheumys office and be shown how to do the injections.
It will be wonderful to have relief!MB

Old 01-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
monkey5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

MB, i am still waiting for the results of the Colonoscopy,hopefully today sometime, before i go crazy with anxiety. I will let you know how the Rheumy appt. goes as matter a fact they called and reminded me of appt. tommorrow, i wouldn't miss unless something serious came up! I hope the enbrel work out good for you also!
Love, Monkey

Old 01-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
monkey5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Rheumy update, well i went and this is so far what is diagnosed thus far: Chondromalicia Patella and Trochanteric Bursitis, wich i believe is my chest are, this explains alot, but still working on the back and i go back in two weeks. He changed my pain meds back to what it was before digestive issues to see if that works and until we get colonoscopy results ugh. Boy was i sore and restless last night from all the work ups had to be done, and it took two hours, but i know it is worth it to get treatment, so as luck has it for me the cards i have been delt is alot of arthritis. Oh and i also may have some Bursitis in my shoulder wich i suspected but it didn't bother me when working so leave well enough alone! Take care, Love, Monkey

Old 01-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
monkey5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

oops, i actually looked up the Trochanteric Bursitis and it is a form of bursitis of the hip, but i thought the other as i have alot of pain and tenderness on my chest bone who knew!
Love, Monkey

Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
maebelle
(female)

maebelle HB User

Hi Monkey,
I have been wondering about you and am glad you posted.It sounds like your
rheumy is very on top of things.The 1st appt can be long and stressful.
I am just glad you got some answers.I know the relief I felt when my symptoms were validated.
The patella is the knee...or knees.The bursitis of the hip area is so painful.I have had bursitis of my shoulder as well and it was terrible.
Your symptoms are so similiar to mine.
I experienced my 1st injection of Enbrel today.It wasn't so bad.I am to inject the med twice a week.It will be a several weeks before I will be able to tell if it helps.

Your bloodwork and colonoscopy results will also help to determine a treatment course for you.Arthritis is just terrible no matter what type or form it is.Let me know how you are doing...MB

Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
monkey5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

MB, yes results ugh, the stress of waiting, but i feel like i said that i got somewhere with the Rheumy and he seems very sincere and i really liked him and he seemed to be aimed at helping me with my arthritis! Some don't always get that lucky! Take care, and i will keep you posted!
Love, Monkey

Old 01-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
kera4
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

Dear Monkey, I'm glad you found a good rheumatologist! I also have arthritis under my patella. My rheumatologist gives me cortisone injections in my knees every 3-4 months, which helps a lot. Climbing stairs or walking long distances is painful for me, so the shots help. My ribcage has been hurting lately too-doesn't help that I had a cold virus that lasted 2-3 weeks with horrible coughing At least I'm over that now. My lower back is hurting badly and my sacroiliac area. I am going to ask about getting injections in my sacroiliac joints-that helps me a lot too. I hope you get some results soon from your tests. I know the "not knowing" can be so frustrating! Take care, Kera4

Old 01-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
monkey5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Kera, yes a good dr. helps finally! I did get my results and they came back negative for colon cancer ect. but i am still confused as to why miralax isn't helping and when i go back to the rheumy he said he will help me as he thinks it is possibly IBS wich could very well be, but i hope whatever treatment i get can help with the bloating fullness feeling that keeps me from wearing even the most loose fitting jeans because i feel like a little old lady and i'm young. And as long as i don't over do things my SI joint isn't too uncomfortable in the back area but if i do irritate it i can't wear jeans ithier because it puts pressure in that area also at that time. The one thing that worries me is that i am wondering if hes gonna do a scan and see the bursitis of the hip and what to do arthascopic surgery. I had that done on my shoulder and results were awesome, but.. a hip isn't something to mess around as you neeed it to be mobile if you know what i mean! And or the knee, but maybe he can do an injection as well like you but i am not gonna do that anything until i have proof because i know that once you have them shot started you have to have them done every so often. The worst thing lately is i have been so depressed and i have been in councling but it's not helping and i have a high tolerance level to any meds and and the last one i started on i stopped because i wanted to drink socially every once in a while and it says no alcholol not just use caution so i am lost, i broke down last night with hubby and kids and wanted to die because i feel like such a failure and it's took me at least two years to get disability and two years to find a good dr. and at any age no matter what it can make you feel like less of a person and it's not like a councler is on call and you dial 24-7 so i have had a rough weekend and i just what to get back what i had and becuase it has gone on so long not sure if i will! Sorry so long been needing to vent since yesterday and boys are the kid well afew a more understanding today, but it starting with my 14 year old calling me a B**** and hope or should rot in H*** so i think it set the weekend off, he has bipolar as well or at the least mood disorder NOS so it's alot with a family of seven and for the mom to have all these issues with arthritis, and i found out that my dad had the scan done and found his body is full of arthritis so kinda a downder there too, but i am trying soo hard!Take care and i hope your rib pain eases up, and if it helps get the SI shot!
Love, Monkey

Old 01-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
kera4
Veteran
(female)

kera4 HB User

Dear Monkey, I totally understand about feeling down about this arthritis! I have 4 kids, so I know how much pressure you feel with taking care of them. This weekend I told my husband that he needs to do the errands and help with laundry/cooking, so I can rest my back. If I don't, I won't be able to do everything when he goes back to work during the week. I know what you mean about the cortisone shots-once you start them, your body starts to rely on them. They do help though-I can do so much more with the shots. I will call this week to get scheduled for the SI injections. I am on Remicade too, but sometimes I wonder how much is it working if I still need shots and painkillers? From what I've heard from others, most people with AS need several types of medications to stay functional. How old are your kids? Mine are 13, 11, 6 and 4. The older two are boys, the younger two are girls. Take care, Kera4

Old 01-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
monkey5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Kera, thats what i was tryint to say is yeah your body starts relying on the shots ugh. I have five boys they are 18,14,14,13,8
Take care, love Monkey

Closed Thread