It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Normal Rheumatoid range

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
kw123
Veteran
(female)

kw123 HB User
Normal Rheumatoid range

What is normal range? What is high? Mine was 44. What does this mean?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Storm Moon
(female)

Storm Moon HB User
Re: Normal Rheumatoid range

Well if you're talking about the Rhematoid factor, I think the normal range is 0 - 13, if I'm not mistaken. So if yours is 44, yeah it's high. I think it just basically means you've got inflammation.

(This test detects and measures rheumatoid factor (RF) in the blood. RF is an autoantibody, an IgM (immunoglobulin M) protein that is produced by the body’s immune system. Autoantibodies usually attack the patient’s own tissues, mistakenly identifying them as “foreign.” While the role of RF is not well understood, it is not thought to directly cause joint damage but to promote the body's inflammation reaction, which in turn contributes to autoimmune tissue destruction. The RF test is sensitive but nonspecific. It is most closely associated with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) but may also be present in a variety of other autoimmune disorders, such as Sjögren’s syndrome, in some persistent bacterial and viral infections, and it can be found in a small percentage of healthy people.)

Mine was once up to 59 but it went down to 40 but that's still considered high. I hope this helps.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
kw123
Veteran
(female)

kw123 HB User

Do you have RA? I still don't have Dx just symptoms. I see a rheumy in Feb. Please share your story

Old 01-27-2008, 02:30 AM   #4
Storm Moon
(female)

Storm Moon HB User

I've been diagnosed 3 times already so I think it's safe to say that I do (if you can consider it safe lol). Symptoms can actually be vague at the beginning, like stiffness in the mornings. I don't think you necessarily have to have pain, just trouble gripping objects and stuff like that. I actually did notice back in '06 that I started having trouble gripping normal stuff like dishes, the telephone, remote, and other stuff normally used in my daily routine. I just figured I was working hard and well, getting older. But when the pain started about a year later, I knew something was going on. So I told my new doctor about it and he ran some tests (the RA factor, Sed Rate, and CRP). They were high, with the exception of the Sed rate, which was just a little elevated. So with that, I was referred to a rheumatologist. But there was a setback; my insurance didn't cover rheumatologists visits so I had to find another doctor, and they ended up referring me to one at the University hospital, and there are only 3 in the state of KY that will see uninsured patients. I did have x-rays done of my hands and fingers done with my current doctor and they were normal.

Anyway, the rheumatologist looked over the copy of blood work I had done in July and asked about symptoms I'd been having. I told him about the pain and stiffness in both hands and it started to spread to my shoulders and knees, and he flat out said, 'yes, I think it sounds like RA so we'll start treatment.' And then, he actually said that the sed rate of 27 was normal for a female of my age, which was funny, and stated that RA factor can show up in healthy ppl, but I think the description of pain made the diagnosis again.

So with morning stiffness and difficulty gripping objects starting in 2006, pain starting in mid-2007, I just got the 3rd diagnosis just two weeks ago, and now just started treatment.

Last edited by Storm Moon; 01-27-2008 at 02:32 AM.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
Jules831b
(female)

Jules831b HB User

Hi I am also interested in what the number means for RF as mine has come back as 23?
What does this number acutally mean, do I have RA or not?
For the past 8 months or so I have started out with toe pain, and progressively its now hands, thumbs, wrists, toes, necks, back and shoulders.
I also suffer with OA and have had 13 operations on my knees in a 5 year period and have a right TKR and a left PFR.
I am due to see a rheumatoidologist on Thursday is there anything I should ask about, different types, treatments etc??

Regards
Jules
x

Old 01-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
kw123
Veteran
(female)

kw123 HB User

I don't know what a high RA factor is does anyone know what the range is? I guess we will begin this thing together. I go to a rheumy in Feb. Let me know of your appt. I will be very interested to hear what he does and says . PLease let me know. It will give me a heads up for my appt Good luck and thanks for the posts guys. I appreciate the advice and support.kw

Old 01-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Jules831b
(female)

Jules831b HB User

Hi I just read this from a post elsewhere from 2006, a bit outdated but I would imagine the levels are the same today.....

"As to the RF, the lab says > 14 is a positive sign."

Also read that over 13 is a positive too.

Jules
x

Closed Thread