It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

??moon Face??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Terri1967
(female)

Terri1967 HB User
??moon Face??

I have read alot of peoples posts and I have seen some people discribe their swelling and symptoms and mention having a moon face. Can someone please tell me what this is?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
whatishappening
Veteran
(female)

whatishappening HB User
Re: ??moon Face??

I believe it is due to taking the drug Prednisone or similar steroids. When taken in fairly large doses, this tends to happen.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Baybreeze
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I get "moonface" while taking steroids (oral prednisone and from having lumbar steroid injections). I have it right now, actually, from having 3 spine ESI's. The rest of my body gains water weight as well. It's a weight gain from bloat. Even my eyelids are all puffy, my face is all rounded, looks like I have a few chins. One good thing is it smooths out my wrinkles while having the face bloat! lol

Old 01-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Ronnied
Veteran
(female)

Ronnied HB UserRonnied HB User

Hi

I take prednisolone (steroids) for arth and my face is moon face, rounded and puffy, I have gained two stone over two years, and only this week I have gained 8lbs water retention. Steroids is the main cause of moon face. I hope when I stop, it will go away.

Ronnie

Old 01-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Baybreeze
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

If it's any consolation, mine always goes away slowwwly after either my ESI's wear off or in the past after stopping oral pred. For me it seems to take quite a while, though, but it still goes away.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
davidzzz
(male)

davidzzz HB User

I guess I'm lucky... I never got moon face or the weight gain everyone is talking about when taken Prednisone. But my dose is low - 5 MG once a day. I've been taking it for about 5 months now. Maybe if my dose was higher it would have affected me more.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Terri1967
(female)

Terri1967 HB User

I am not on any steroids. they tried me on a few different ones and none of them gave much relief of pain and swelling. i was however put on one called dexamethasone 7.5mg but was only allowed on it for a month as it has some wicked side effects. That was the only rx that relieved any of my symptoms. i cant get into the RA till end of Feb which seems like a lifetime!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Terri1967
(female)

Terri1967 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidzzz View Post
I guess I'm lucky... I never got moon face or the weight gain everyone is talking about when taken Prednisone. But my dose is low - 5 MG once a day. I've been taking it for about 5 months now. Maybe if my dose was higher it would have affected me more.
I am not on any steroids. they tried me on a few different ones and none of them gave much relief of pain and swelling. i was however put on one called dexamethasone 7.5mg but was only allowed on it for a month as it has some wicked side effects. That was the only rx that relieved any of my symptoms. i cant get into the RA till end of Feb which seems like a lifetime!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
davidzzz
(male)

davidzzz HB User

I know how you feel... about waiting to get into a RA Dr. I had to wait a long time too. I did get in a little earlier by getting on their cancelation list. You might try that. When I was finally diagnosed with RA it was such a relief to have a name for the pain I was going through. You'll have to read some of my earlier posts. I couldn't hardly do anything. Now with the help of my med's and a very good RA Dr. I'm functioning again. The med's my Dr. put me on are these: Humira self injections every other week, Prednisone 5mg once a day, Ketoprofen 75mg twice a day and Hydroxychloroquine 200mg - 2 once a day. Now I don't know what the future holds for me and my RA, but so far... these med's are working for me. I know it's hard to deal with right now, but hang in there. There is a lot of good help out there, and this board is great for support.

Closed Thread