It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• medrol dose packs for psoriatic arthritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
    grover1166
    (female)

grover1166 HB User
    Question medrol dose packs for psoriatic arthritis

My g.p. has been giving me a cortisone (not sure what) shot once every three months and a medrol dose pack every other month. It helps my symptoms, but I have concerns about potential long term effects. Anyone with first (or thirtieth) hand info please let me know. Have had psoriasis since age 18, psoriatic arthritis since about 32. I am now 41. Enbrel worked great, but am no longer in a position to afford it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User
    Re: medrol dose packs for psoriatic arthritis

Have you tried once weekly methotrexate?

Old 04-02-2008, 02:07 AM   #3
    grover1166
    (female)

grover1166 HB User

No, I went for years without any insurance and treated psoriasis with tanning beds.By the time I was able to afford treatment, Enbrel was the wonder drug of choice. Can no longer afford enbrel, have heard methotrexate has serious side effects (per current dr. thats dosing me with all this cortisone) Would like word from the trenches from someone who has tried all available treatments and can give me an idea what carries least risk with most benefits. I'm starting to feel that everything that may help may also do harm later on. The psoriasis, other than the bad flare ups, is livable, but this arthritis is rough on a 41 year old with two kids under 5

Old 04-02-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
    Ronnied
    Veteran
    (female)

Ronnied HB UserRonnied HB User

Hi,

I have read your posts so far and thought I would give you my story so far, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 5 years ago (I am now 50). I have joint pain in neck, elbows, wrists, fingers, hip, knees, ankles and toes, and now my feet are hurting to walk on (what a nuisance that is!). I put up with it for four years struggling to work full of arthritis drugs, and gave up last year. I rest when hurting and do all sorts of little jobs when feel a bit better. I have been on methotrexate (upset my liver and my hair started to fall out) came off that went on sulphasalazine (didnt do much for the arth) then went on Leflunomide, which helped but blood pressure went up too high. Last year I was put on Prednisolone and last month I came off it as my weight had gone up. I am now trying a mixture of leflunomide and arcoxia which has helped the joint pain a lot. It upsets my stomach badly and always have to be near a loo!! I am going back to new rheumatologist in June and he is going to discuss enbrel. Everyone tells me how good it is, and it would be nice to see for myself. If you cannot get enbrel, try a dmard and an anti inflammatory together. Arcoxia is new to me and I feel so much better on it joint wise. I have a little dog and I make myself go out 3 times a day to get some exercise, but it doesnt help my feet or knees. It is a very frustrating disease. If I can help please ask. Not many people post on this board with psoriatic arthritis.

Ronnie

Old 04-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
    grover1166
    (female)

grover1166 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronnied View Post
    Hi,

I have read your posts so far and thought I would give you my story so far, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 5 years ago (I am now 50). I have joint pain in neck, elbows, wrists, fingers, hip, knees, ankles and toes, and now my feet are hurting to walk on (what a nuisance that is!). I put up with it for four years struggling to work full of arthritis drugs, and gave up last year. I rest when hurting and do all sorts of little jobs when feel a bit better. I have been on methotrexate (upset my liver and my hair started to fall out) came off that went on sulphasalazine (didnt do much for the arth) then went on Leflunomide, which helped but blood pressure went up too high. Last year I was put on Prednisolone and last month I came off it as my weight had gone up. I am now trying a mixture of leflunomide and arcoxia which has helped the joint pain a lot. It upsets my stomach badly and always have to be near a loo!! I am going back to new rheumatologist in June and he is going to discuss enbrel. Everyone tells me how good it is, and it would be nice to see for myself. If you cannot get enbrel, try a dmard and an anti inflammatory together. Arcoxia is new to me and I feel so much better on it joint wise. I have a little dog and I make myself go out 3 times a day to get some exercise, but it doesnt help my feet or knees. It is a very frustrating disease. If I can help please ask. Not many people post on this board with psoriatic arthritis.

Ronnie
    Thanks for the recap of what you have tried and results and side effects. I'm just starting to have the arthritis to the point that it is really interfering with my life and any info people with more exper. than myself is greatly appreciated. You will prob. love the enbrel. My psoriasis almost went away and the psoriatic arthritis symptoms diminished to the point I thought I had been misdiagnosed. Good luck with it!

Closed Thread