It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Osteoarthritis Members....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #16
    spinaltap
    (female)

spinaltap HB User
    Re: Osteoarthritis Members....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenjeans View Post
    Hi

I'm looking for people here who suffer from Osteoarthritis (Not Osteoperosis) specifically of the spine. Before I detail what I'm living with, would like to identify a few members here for a bit of a chat session. Would love to hear your story and the kind of pain you suffer with, what you are doing about it, and if you have found anything to relieve you to the point of living a reasonably normal life.

I'll check back over the weekend
    THANKS!
    Jeannie
    Hi,
    I have been suffering with this condition for about 20 years i try vitimins
    i dont like to take to much medicine i really dont go to the doctor for it
    the pain is not that bad the legs are mostly stiff i tried to get bike 3 wheel
    one but i cant turn the right knee it is frozen now it seems i have
    inflamed vein in the leg i guess the arthritis can cause other things i am
    in the process of losing weight i will see if that helps i know people
    with knee replacement with not to much luck i just keep limping along
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #17
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

I did have an excercise bike.
    My Dr said it's fine with knee OA untill using it causes pain.
    So I used it till it did.
    NOT ignorable pain.
    The pain being bone rubbing againest bone in the knee, since the protective padding of cartilidge between bones at the joint is too deterioriated due to the OA. That rubbing also wears the bones down faster.
    So when that began happening I got rid of the excercise bike.

I can still can do the excercise where you set in a chair, feet flat on the floor and lift the foot to have the leg straight out and then back down again. That is non-impact and does help keep the knee movable.

An excercise of setting with a small ( maybe about 8" round or there abouts ) air filled ball help between the knees and alternateingly squishing and releaseing it is one of the excercise PT has you do after knee replacement surgery to rebuild your thiegh muscle. I'm sure that one helps before surgery too. I do non-impact setting things like the above (and my wobbler chair the Chiro recommended) while watching TV or talking on the phone.

Sorry, I got off subject there.. the original subject is OA in the back.
    Seems to me if one gets OA in the back they get it in other joints sooner or later.

Last edited by snowmelts; 04-26-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #18
    studey
    (female)

studey HB User

Gosh I can relate to so many of you guys !!! I just got over bursitis of my hips, (both sides ) Man is that so painful , I also have a bend in my back, from oa in all levels in my spine...My pain docter gave me a steroid pack to take and it worked for the most part...But he said, if it didn't he would give me injections..I have oa everywhere..It is in my family..My mother, her mother, my father his mother and his father...So it just figures I would get it at 36, I have had it for 10 years...It first started in my hands and now it is just about eveywhere,,feet !! hips really hurt !! I also have a inoperable brain aneurysm,,That I have been dealing with since Jan, 2001, It has been pulsating on the cranial nerves and causing me horrible head pain..Why I go to a pain Docter...But he is a wonderful docter,,I take methadone for my horrible head pain and he gives me morphine for my OA..I can not take asprin any arthritis related meds, cause it could hurt my aneurysm..Could make it grow or bleed. A big No No..So I am on the strong narcotics and have been for many years..But I just could not live with this head pain without them..I would be in bed in a fetal position...grabbing at my head wishing for death...And now that my OA is so painful for the past 3 years...Life has just been horrible - pain wise..But I surely understand your pain..And I can not have any surgery...They are afraid to do any, cause of my aneurysm..So..It is just making me comfortable..I'm 46 years...and have had my aneurysm since I was 38..I am disabled and collect SSDI..I wish I could work at my old job as a nurse, I loved it !!,,, Hugs, Cindy

Closed Thread