It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective???

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #61
fayster
(female)

fayster HB User
Re: Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective???

well, it IS one-handed typing.

Beautiful day today. I think I'll take you up on your suggestion. I did too much yesterday and the hand is achy today.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #62
velcro3
(female)

velcro3 HB User

Hi all,

I had this surgery back in Dec. Although everything was going well for the first 6 weeks--at that point the MCP joint (the next joint up the thumb) started hyperextendingpretty badly. A couple weeks later it was to the point of causing pain which got worse over the next month. The pain is to the point to needing to take a pain pill in the afternoon.

SO, tomorrow I am having the ligament on the MCP joint tightened using a Mini Miteck anchor. Last time no pins or anything--this time a pin for 3 weeks. The base of my thumb feels great--hopefully this will take care of it!

Even so, and with all the pain after surgery, I would do it again. I can't believe I don't have pain in my basal joint any more.

Good luck everyone.

Gayle

Old 03-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #63
successfuljoint
(female)

successfuljoint HB User

I had CMC joint arthroplasty 5 weeks ago with Graft Jacket instead of using the tendon. I am doing VERY well. I am still experiencing some pain, especially if I keep it down. I have started rehab and I have been in a removable splint for 3 weeks.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #64
successfuljoint
(female)

successfuljoint HB User

I am 5 weeks after surgery. My surgeon used Graft Jacket instead of my tendon. I was only in a cast for 2 weeks and then placed in a removeable splint. I have already started rehab. I am in a little pain but nothing stronger than advil. I highly recommend this procedure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajo View Post
So I just came back from the surgeon's office. I am greatly encouraged. I do have a displacement of my joint which is causing the pain. The surgeon feels that I am a good candidate and is ready to proceed. He has been doing these surgeries for over 26 years with no re-dos needed so there is great longevity of relief. 7-10 days post surgery of soft cast, 5 weeks hard cast followed by therapy. His words were that the surgery and subsequent recovery were "predictable" based upon his experience and that I should have 95% improvement in less than 6 months. I will not schedule the surgery until after the summer as we are fairly active during the summer months. No pins or screws are used.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #65
ida b
(female)

ida b HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by successfuljoint View Post
I had CMC joint arthroplasty 5 weeks ago with Graft Jacket instead of using the tendon. I am doing VERY well. I am still experiencing some pain, especially if I keep it down. I have started rehab and I have been in a removable splint for 3 weeks.
What is a graft jacket? my dr offered me 3 options. The first one is the tendon replacement everyone is writing about But what about bone fusion. Has anyone had this done? It is supposed to be a lot stronger option. I work with my hands lifting etc. The third option he gave me is joint replacement. Has anyone had any of these done? Also I'm worried about permadant nerve damage during surgery.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #66
ida b
(female)

ida b HB User

I've heard the new way of doing this surgery is just taking out the bone without the tendon replacement. They say simple is better and it heals the same. Have you heard of this? Also my doctor wants to do a bone fusion. He says it is the best way to keep your hand strong. Has any one done this method or heard of anyone who has?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #67
Shelby333
(female)

Shelby333 HB User

Just wondering if you had the surgery, and was it worth it.

Thanks
Shelby333

Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #68
SunnyR
(female)

SunnyR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby333 View Post
Just wondering if you had the surgery, and was it worth it.

Thanks
Shelby333
Shelby333

Yes, I had the surgery where they replaced the bone with a tendon from my arm and it was totally worth it!!! I had so much pain before that I had to constantly use a hand brace to isolate my thumb. Now I can do everything. My hand has a bit less strength but that is just fine with me! I would do it again without hesitation. I had a really good doctor too so I am glad for that as well!

Blessings,
SunnyR

Last edited by SunnyR; 05-03-2010 at 05:25 AM.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #69
pct508
(female)

pct508 HB User

[QUOTE=Biyak123;3773859]I am to have basal joint surgery on my left thumb in three weeks.(Osteoarthritis)
I would like to know how effective surgery was for others and the time of recovery. I do have a pamphlet but would like the opinions of others. Thanks.

Biya,

I would definitely have responded to your post, but I never got it in my email. I had the surgery 14 months ago on my left hand, and would not hesitate to have it on my right if needed. The excruciating pain is gone. I did lose some of my strength, not much, but the trade-off was well worth it to me. I spent about 2 or 3 months in PT and was religious about going and about doing the exercises at home. To get to the point I am at today took about 5 or 6 months from the day of surgery (if I am remembering correctly!). I have full range of motion in my thumb with no pain. For me, the surgery was very, very successful.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #70
pct508
(female)

pct508 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ida b View Post
I've heard the new way of doing this surgery is just taking out the bone without the tendon replacement. They say simple is better and it heals the same. Have you heard of this? Also my doctor wants to do a bone fusion. He says it is the best way to keep your hand strong. Has any one done this method or heard of anyone who has?
Ida b:
I've never heard of the "bone fusion" method. Does it compromise your range of motion? If so, then for me, I'm not sure if I'd go that route. I like having my full range of motion, and the strength I lost was not that much. I suppose it would depend on what is important to you. However, if the bone fusion method allows full range of motion while keeping 100% of your strength, then why not go for it??

Old 05-04-2010, 06:50 AM   #71
SunnyR
(female)

SunnyR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biyak123 View Post
I am to have basal joint surgery on my left thumb in three weeks.(Osteoarthritis)
I would like to know how effective surgery was for others and the time of recovery. I do have a pamphlet but would like the opinions of others. Thanks.

Biya
Hi Biya,

I had the surgery almost 3 years ago. You can read on this thread from a lot of people as the the recovery time and it pretty much is the same for all of us. For me, the worst of the pain after surgery was just the first couple of days. I was back to work within a few days, had a soft cast for a couple weeks then a hard cast for several weeks then a removable cast for several more weeks. My surgery was also due to osteoarthritis. It seems that this is the most common reason for this surgery. It was my left hand and I am right handed which I was grateful for. The surgery was totally worth it in my case because the pain was horrible. I had a bone spur shaped like a shark tooth also the tip of that spur had broken off and was floating in there to add to the pain. I have never regretted having the surgery!!!!!

Take care and let us know how it goes for you. This is a very helpful site with a lot of people who have been there and are there for support!!!

Blessings,
SunnyR

The Following User Says Thank You to SunnyR For This Useful Post:
happycamper8979 (05-22-2011)
Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #72
lca8461
(female)

lca8461 HB User

Hi, I am going on Friday to talk to my doctor about scheduling this surgery. Can you tell me, how the removal of the tendon has effected you or if it has. I was just curious as no one seems to mention it. I am not looking forward to the surgery, but can no longer stand the pain in my left thumb. Thanks,

Old 05-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #73
SunnyR
(female)

SunnyR HB User

Hi,

The tendon removal was really no big deal. There was weakness for a while but now the weakness is minimal. The whole thing, pain while healing etc, was worth getting rid of the constant pain! I have never regretted it! By the way, I used my fingers when I was in my cast.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Take care
SunnyR

Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #74
lca8461
(female)

lca8461 HB User

Thanks, I am hoping to schedule the surgery for the end of this month but with the pain from the last couple of days, I think I would go in today if I could. I will definitely post after surgery...Thanks again for the info.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #75
Kass490
(female)

Kass490 HB UserKass490 HB UserKass490 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lca8461 View Post
Hi, I am going on Friday to talk to my doctor about scheduling this surgery. Can you tell me, how the removal of the tendon has effected you or if it has. I was just curious as no one seems to mention it. I am not looking forward to the surgery, but can no longer stand the pain in my left thumb. Thanks,
I don't know about anyone else,but that is my biggest complaint so far. I had the surgery last Monday and if i move my hand wrong, my forearm goes into a spasm. Hurts alot until I stretch it out.

My soft cast comes off on Tuesday and i can hardly wait. This has been one of the more uncomfortable surgeries i have had and very debilitating. When this one is recovered, I have to do the left one.
I'm just wondering when I'll be able to drive again as I have a manual transmission, and I wonder if I'll hurt it by trying to shift.
I live alone...so.....
I really need this to work as I am an artist and this is my genius hand, so I can't mess it up.
My doctor acts like this is a walk in the park; it's not.
The pain wasn't as bad as I thought it would be tho...except for that tendon thing. Kinda concerned about that.

Closed Thread