It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective???

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #106
pct508
(female)

pct508 HB User
Re: Basal joint surgical treatment..Effective???

Quote:
Originally Posted by successfuljoint View Post
I underwent this procedure with a local. My arm was numb for a few hours after the procedure. I also was in la la land during the procedure. I had graft jacket and the tendon was not used. I have excellent mobility and am working on strength right now. It is coming slowly. I hardly took any pain meds. I do not like them. I took mainly ibuprofin and iced and elevated as much as possible. Even now if it is bothering me, not often, I follow that procedure. This procedure was excellent. I had the procedure done by the head of orthopaedics at Temple U Hosp in Phila.

I, too, had this procedure with a block to numb my arm and meds to put me to sleep (at Beth Israel in Boston) instead of general. At first I was a little frightened because I wanted to be OUT! Anyway, I recall waking up at one point during the surgery, but did not feel anything. I heard conversation but do not remember what was said, and fell right back to sleep. Post-surgery, I recovered so much faster than others in the recovery room who had had general (don't know what their surgeries were for), and the nurses commented on how good I looked immediately after the surgery (not beautiful...it was just that I had very good color rather than that ashy, sick look that the people had who had had general), and I was very alert. I had no nausea at all. If I had to have this on my right hand, I would choose the block.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #107
Nabulangi
(female)

Nabulangi HB User

Thanks everyone! Would you believe that they didn't do an xray?! They just looked and felt and checked my strength. I am taking Ibuprofen since it is also an inflammatory and they gave me a splint. They told me to put ice on it as well and we will follow-up in a few weeks if it is still causing pain, etc.

They want me to schedule physical therapy. The one thing that disturbs me though is that the therapist thought that my basal joint was the connection between my wrist and the palm of my hand. :-/

Old 05-20-2010, 04:05 AM   #108
SunnyR
(female)

SunnyR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabulangi View Post
Thanks everyone! Would you believe that they didn't do an xray?! They just looked and felt and checked my strength. I am taking Ibuprofen since it is also an inflammatory and they gave me a splint. They told me to put ice on it as well and we will follow-up in a few weeks if it is still causing pain, etc.

They want me to schedule physical therapy. The one thing that disturbs me though is that the therapist thought that my basal joint was the connection between my wrist and the palm of my hand. :-/
I would think that an xray would be advisable but maybe they would like to see how it goes with the Ibuprofen, physical therapy and splint then if there is still pain at your follow-up, do an xray.

If you google basal thumb joint diagram you can see that it actually is the connection between your wrist and the palm of your hand.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:49 AM   #109
Kass490
(female)

Kass490 HB UserKass490 HB UserKass490 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyR View Post
I would think that an xray would be advisable but maybe they would like to see how it goes with the Ibuprofen, physical therapy and splint then if there is still pain at your follow-up, do an xray.

If you google basal thumb joint diagram you can see that it actually is the connection between your wrist and the palm of your hand.

Let us know how it goes!
Hey Sunny! When are you thinking of doing your other hand...or are you?

Since I'm getting Medicaid, and it's not at all certain that US Congress will renew it, I'm thinking September on my left hand.
Sure don't want to not have hands if our gov cuts social security/medicare/medicaid, you know what I mean?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #110
Kass490
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabulangi View Post

Well, It's the connection between your THUMB and the palm of your hand for sure. That's the TRAPEZIUM BONE or the whole CMC
That's why I kept getting spasms in my palmar ligament when It was so bad or I overused my thumb.
I didn't get and x-ray for two years. Frankly, I don't think they can see much until it gets really bad.
My recovery is progressing well. It still aches pretty badly, but I can already feel strength coming back.
I have to keep reminding myself that it's only been a little more than 2 weeks since the surgery!!! Seems like 2 MONTHS!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #111
sheilajo52
(female)

sheilajo52 HB User

was this a wire connected to the top of your hand? they are talking about doing that to me but it sounds permanent, does it hurt?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #112
sheilajo52
(female)

sheilajo52 HB User

how are you doing now?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #113
SunnyR
(female)

SunnyR HB User

Actually, my right hand is doing well, no problems. I'm not on Medicaid yet, I am only 52. But if I end up needing my right hand done down the road, I will definitely do the surgery without hesitation. As soon as you feel like you can function well with your right hand, go for it!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 08-20-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:54 AM   #114
SunnyR
(female)

SunnyR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilajo52 View Post
was this a wire connected to the top of your hand? they are talking about doing that to me but it sounds permanent, does it hurt?
I didn't have any wire, screws or metal of any kind! It does sound permanent! Has your doctor done a lot of these surgeries? You might want a second opinion!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #115
Kass490
(female)

Quote:
I've read a bunch of stuff on other boards about this wire thing and how painful it is when they take it out. I don't know why it would be done unless your joint is terrifically unstable or drawing into your palm????

Old 05-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #116
lca8461
(female)

lca8461 HB User

My surgeon explained that he use to use pins and would remove them, however, he now uses screws to hold the tendon to the bone. These are left in the hand.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #117
SunnyR
(female)

SunnyR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lca8461 View Post
My surgeon explained that he use to use pins and would remove them, however, he now uses screws to hold the tendon to the bone. These are left in the hand.
I don't know anything about using screws My doctor didn't do that nor did he do the steel pin that he removed, but I have read that surgeons used steel pins or screws. If your doctors has done a lot of these with great success and the therapists think he does a good job with good results, then I'm sure it is a good method

Take care,
SunnyR

Old 05-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #118
sheilajo52
(female)

sheilajo52 HB User

the first surgery was apparently not successful, major pain since it was done in
August, he thinks the joint may have slipped and this may secure it but i worry about pain

Old 05-24-2010, 04:35 AM   #119
SunnyR
(female)

SunnyR HB User

Quote:
the first surgery was apparently not successful, major pain since it was done in
August, he thinks the joint may have slipped and this may secure it but i worry about pain
sheilajo52

Have they done an xray? I remember the doctor did an xray before they put the hard cast on to look at the surgery site. I am so sorry that you are going through this! Is your surgeon an expert at this surgery? I might get a second opinion if you feel uncomfortable just to be sure!!!! I had a couple of times when I had pain and wondered if I had injured my surgery site from overuse but my doctor reassured me that I couldn't hurt it. That is how much confidence he had in the surgery that he did on my hand.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

SunnyR

Old 05-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #120
Kass490
(female)

Quote:
I agree with Sunny. Please get them to do an xray b4 they mess with your precious hand again.
My doc just put me in splint for 5 weeks! It's got a steel rod in it. I hope it's enough, not just that they are trying to it on the cheap. it sure doesn't hurt as badly as it did, but it still aches like hell.
He also told me driving would be no problem but I think I hurt it the other day, so I'm limiting that!
I always get as much info on my own as I can, with the "heath" system the way it is now.

Closed Thread