It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• migrating joint pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
    forgetyou
    (female)

forgetyou HB User
    migrating joint pain

I am 23, and for the past few months I have been getting this joint pain....it started in my left inside wrist, and I had just started a new job where I was using my hands a lot. So I went to the Dr. and he said it was inflammation and gave me naproxen.

So then it started moving around. Like the exact same pain would be in my ankle, or other hand or wrist, foot, shoulder and/or neck (sometimes more than one at once). It hurts both when I move the actual joint itself, as well as if I move it using my other hand and not the affected muscles/joint (if that makes sense). The other night, I noticed that my left wrist had a bump right where it hurt, under the vein kind of. And now my right elbow hurts and I can actually pinpoint the tender spot. The pain follows a pattern, it almost always comes in gradually during midday, and then gets worse and worse until about late evening, where it is really bad, and spreads sometimes.

I have found that using a Tensor bandage helps when I can, like if it's wrist or ankle pain, but to be honest, I haven't noticed the Naproxen helps that much.

I am awaiting blood test results that might rule out, or in, Lupus, as it runs in my family. I have also been getting almost daily night sweats, where I have to get up and change sometimes 2-3 times a night because I am SOAKED, apparently the Dr. said this might also indicate lupus- I guess it might be a fever.

Any ideas on what this could be? I know it's pretty vague...I've done lots and lots of research and it is such a general symptom of so many problems that I don't know what to think!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 AM   #2
    Kilo911
    (male)

Kilo911 HB User
    Re: migrating joint pain

I know the frustration that you are feeling.....and the pain. None of the pain meds they have tried work on me either. I haven't gotten a final diagnosis yet but my neuro did mention Lupus as a possibility. I tested negative for Lupus but would you happen to know if one negative result clears me of Lupus? I hope you get a diagnosis. I would rather have a diagnosis of Lupus or MS that could hopefully be treated than be told that they don't know what it is and just plain suffer indefinitely. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

I have had migrating pains for 5 months. It will hit and pulsate in one area like a toothache anywhere from a second to hours, then move to another area. I get random toe, finger pains etc. Now I am getting odd muscle pull feelings and started getting muscle twitches months ago that I have all over my body.

My drs are stumped.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
    ruzalily
    (female)

ruzalily HB User

hi k2626,
    you and i have been frequenting the same posts - fibro, arthritis, neuro i think, etc. we have the same symptoms, undiagnosed, for the same length of time. just wanted to say hi again and tell you that you're not alone. you said that your dr's are stumped - have any of them taken responsibility for you and given you any meds? i am still being passed around. my pain is migrating also, some has come and gone for months, some is gone, and some has never gone away, especially the pain in my hands and feet. i hope we can both find some answers, or at least some pain relief, soon! lily

Last edited by ruzalily; 11-04-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: added text

Old 11-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Hi Lily. My pains are awful. They are like a deep toothache that hit and pulsate anywhere from a second to an hr then move on to come back or move to another spot. The pains usually hit my hands, feet, toes, shins. My joint cracking is still extreme, last night my pelvic bone was popping in and out of the socket whenever I would stand up/sit down. The muscle twitches are still everywhere despite how much mag I take. I am getting more and more scared.

They did see stenosis in my cpine (cord compression) but I dont think that would cause the widespread issues nor of course the joint cracking

All blood tests have been good and full MRI of spine/brain fine aside from stenosis

No meds aside from recommending anti anxiety pills! Those may help since I am starting to get really scared

I keep thinking lyme, lupus, or some bacteria.

Can you remind me of your symptoms? Sorry you are going through this too

Last edited by k2626; 11-04-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
    ruzalily
    (female)

ruzalily HB User

hi k2626,
    eek, my symptoms? let's see if i can remember them all since this all started for me the first of July...started with numbness and tingling in fourth and fifth toes, fourth and fifth fingers, and tingling feeling in left leg, like a chill. next day it turned to pain, and the pain progressed from little areas to big ones. so, over the last few months i have had pain in my toes, heels, ankles, wrists, hands, fingers, lower back, thigh muscles, upper arms, neck, cracking in my neck, a tired ache in the back of my legs, a buzzing feeling in my spine and right thigh when i bend my head forward, muscle twitches everywhere, and even jaw pain and a clicking sound in my ear. i have had mri of my cervical and lumbar spine. cervical had minor bulges in c5 and c6. lumbar had an anular tear at L5-S1, disc diffusion, and nerve root involvement, but according to the spinal surgeon, not significant enough to cause any of these problems. been to the rheumy, tests all negative except EBV (past infection), parvo (past infection), and I have the genetic marker for psoriatic arthritis. other markers, sed rate, ana, etc. all normal, which they would be wih PsA. maybe that's a possibility - i'll find out when i see him again on monday. neuro said it's not ms, had brain mri, nc studies, and everything is normal. you mentioned anti-anxiety meds and i am taking xanax to help ease some of my stress and it does help some of the shaky feelings that i have been having. it's a mystery. at this point, i may be looking at pain management without finding out what's really going on. this all happened to me after i had been lifting weights really aggressively after not doing much for about five years. i figured it was some type of spinal/neck injury that just cascaded like that reflex sympathetic dystrophy thing (i think that's what it's called). i have driven myself nuts on the internet trying to diagnose myself. it's really really frustrating. many of my symptoms have gone away, but my wrist, finger, ankle, toe foot pain, neck shoulder and arm pain are alive and kicking my butt. my right thigh still buzzes every few days or so, and my shooting pains come and go but have improved. my twitches are much improved since i have been taking vitamin d. so, that's my long story. it's so hard trying to work full time, see doctors, take care of my family, and oh yeah, take care of me. i am going to dump all of this on my rheumy on monday and get some med that will help me with this pain!!! what are your next steps? lily

Old 11-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

We DO have very simliliar issues. So yours literally seemed to come on all within a wks time too? Do your pains pulsate and move from place to place or are they in those locations non stop?

I worry about MS to a degree because I have read many times lesions do not show up. However, I also have been told that MS pains dont just appear all over the body at once and do not hit for a minute, then bounce to another area and hit for a minute to hours. Also I was told twitching is part of MS but again the twitching would not hit all over the body but a localized spot like a leg etc. Also extreme joint cracking is not part of MS typically, and that started w me when the pains started.

The vibrating for me is pretty much in my left foot now it goes from vibrating at times, to tingling to being normal. My pointer finger has gone numb once for 3 days

I feel like its some virus or bacteria in me to just hit all at once. The one thing that has been really consistant in one spot is a mid spine bruise type of pain, right where my bra strap hits. It just feels bruised. All that showed there though was slight ddd. I too have the compression in my neck but was told that would nto cause all of these problems, but I see the top NS in SF next wk for his opinion. Maybe it has caused some of this but def not the joint cracks which I know is going along w the pains since it onset the same time.

I also wonder if its fibro, BUT I dont have the tender points. So I am left with thinking lupus, lyme or another bacteria-all which I am pursuing. I see a 4th neuro tomorrow and will keep you posted.

Oh I also get nerve pains in the bottom of my left foot at times

This has really taken over my life.....

Last edited by k2626; 11-05-2008 at 01:41 PM.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
    ruzalily
    (female)

ruzalily HB User

eek! 4 neuros??? i am so sorry that you have had to go through all of this, but i commend you for being so persistent. getting more than one opinion is the smartest thing to do, especially because no one can figure out what's going on. you asked if my pain stays in one place or moves around? both. some stay in one place, like the pain in my upper arms, hands and feet has been there for weeks. other shooting pains travel around, and the vibrating feeling in my upper thigh comes and goes. sometimes the thigh thing seems to depend on the shoes i wear (heels or flats). crazy.

you seem really worried about ms. your mri's have been fine, and three neurologists have all ruled that out for you. i was insistent with my pcp that i had ms, and he was absolutely adamant that there was "absolutely no way" ms. this was before i even had the three mri's or saw the neuro. i think that you should put that in the back of your mind for now. a diagnosis of ms would have been made by now if that is what was going on with you - i don't think that is a disease that is too elusive or difficult to diagnose.

funny you should mention a bacteria or virus - that's EXACTLY what i was thinking about my issues. but because i don't have a spleen, i think a bacteria would have probably killed me by now, but maybe it could be a virus. my rheumatologist tested me for lyme and everything under the sun really, (he's been great), so if you haven't had those tests it's good to get them done. it's interesting that he asked me about traveling to the east coast. i live in the southwest and took my first trip to the northeast in march, just before my symptoms started. i stayed with some friends who live in a wooded area with lots of animals, horses, etc. and right behind a stream. a breeding ground for lyme. but my test was negative. i am going to ask my doc on monday about a more detailed assay test that would rule it out completely. do you know of any other bacteria that would cause these symptoms that you are going to ask your doc to test you for???

anyway, i agree with you 100% that this can take over your life - it definitely has taken over mine. and yes, please keep me posted on what's going on with you, your next appointment, new symptoms, test, etc. i see my rheumy on monday and i hope that maybe i have some answer then, or another "lead" on something. but i won't hold my breath. peace and my best wishes to you k2626 - lily

Last edited by ruzalily; 11-05-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: add text

Old 11-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Ugh so sorry you too are going through this. I am so persistant with this because I can feel it getting worse and I want a resolution before its too late!

Yes, I do keep going back to MS even though drs say no and many people with MS say my pains are not typical. However, honestly there are WAY worse things then MS and at one point or another I have dx myself with them all-bone cancer, leukimia, ALS....The internet is dangerous! I do have some symptoms of MS so I keep thinking I guess, you know the buzzing, I get eye pains, feel off balance (that could just be stress maybe)--these could all be from my c spine though too. The thing that would not fit in w my spine is the joint cracking. If it werent for that I would prob. think that this is caused by my spinal cord (even though some of my drs say it isnt). The joint cracking started about a wk after the pains so I know its connected!

So today I decided to make an appt with a infectious disease dr. They specialize in unexplained dx's, often dealing with fungus or bacteria. So I pray I get answers of some sort!

So in a nut shell I am lining the drs up. I have the neuro appt tomorrow, next wk is a neuro surgeon who will give me SOLID feedback on my cspine and perhaps some relation, then I see the lyme dr and a couple days after the ID dr. SO I better have some answers!

I do have to applaud my primary. He has been so proactive and orders any test I request. Have you heard drs tell you its all "stress". I almost believed that one for a minute. Let me tell you when I get my dx I will be writing those drs quite a letter.....

Lyme is very hard to dx. Many people w lyme test neg with normal labs. I went through IG in Palo Alto and tested postitive on 1 band and IND (in the middle) on 2. You need 2 bands to be positive to be dx with lyme, however not so long ago it was 1 band. So that is why I went to see a lyme dr. She tested me for co infections so I should hear when I see her. Oddly, a month or so before the pains started I had rash on my stomach, little bumps that looked like flea bites. I even went to the dr and he gave me anti for it. I knew they werent fleas, I dont have a dog but never did find out what it was. Well a few days after I got a pretty nasty cold. About 10 days after that I had cosemetic surgery and then 3 wks later all of this started. Have no clue if any of this is connected. Sometimes I think maybe I got some bacteria from the surgery, but then I would prob. have a fever. So I dont know.

Sorry to ramble. My pains are bad tonight, I am getting muscle pains that hit and then go. Its so odd whatever it is likes to jump around my body and stab me. That brings me back to thinking lyme or another bacteria.

Anyway, I will keep you posted. Hopefully I get some answers and maybe can guide you to other testing paths. Keep me posted too!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
    ruzalily
    (female)

ruzalily HB User

wow, you really know your stuff. i'm going to ask my rheumy on monday about another lyme test - 2 bands. i'll have to do some research on that as well because i don't know what it means! yes, please keep me posted on what you find out from your docs - i may follow in your footsteps and request the same tests. i have been waking up so early and not getting back to sleep right away, for fear of not getting up on time for work. this morning it was 3 and i'm exhausted! do you feel worse when you don't sleep well, or does it make a difference? do you have pain (to some degree) all the time, every day, like I do??? lily

Old 11-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #11
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Hi there, so what a day. I went to see the neuro eye dr (I have had odd pressure type eye pains, started months before this--another symptom of MS). He examed my eyes to the fullest, and they were fine. No inflammation-nada. I told him my story, he was very intruiged. He thought maybe something auto immune and said my dr should have done my MRI with contrast.

Then off to the new neuro-I almost left in tears. He examed me, asked me all sorts of questions and basically said he did not know what was wrong. He was really focused on the twitching, and the questions that he was asking I know he was gearing towards ALS. I had a normal EMG however. Then I told him about my joints cracking, he seemed puzzled in that he could hear my hips and shoulders popping in and out of the socket which is different then my standard "joint cracking". I questioned MS, he said its usually localized in one area first. He said none of this was due to my cord compression as its not compressed enough. So at the end I asked him, what could cause muscle twitches everywhere? He said, well neurologically ALS but we would have to see if that shows up in 5 months. WHAT! He did say he didnt think it was that though because usually pain is not associated with that. So I said to him that I guess I just have to sit around and wait...he basically said yes, until it gets worse or goes away. So you can see I was so upset. He did inquire if I had been bit by a tick, I told him I had been tested for lyme...

FYI just so you know with lyme OFTEN it does not show up on regular labs so you need to get tested with a lyme specialized lab. There is so much controversy over lyme in the med community. Check out the lyme board and let me know what you think.

When your twitches started, did they start everywhere all at once? Do they really hit everywhere, mine really does from legs, foot, eyes, fingers, shoulders, bum, etc....Just curious if yours is the same. This is a major symptom of Lyme...

Old 11-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
    ruzalily
    (female)

ruzalily HB User

hi k2626,
    i remember sitting down one afternoon, dwelling on all of my physical symptoms after all of this pain started, and i felt a twitch in my upper right arm. i thought, no, this can't be something else that's going to start happening. but yes, from there it spread to every other part of my body over a period of days. i have felt twitches in my calves, thighs, arms, face, butt, lip, etc. seems that every part of my body has felt a twitch at some time.

i think that the new neuro you saw today scared you unneccesarily and i'm sorry that happened because you don't need anything else to worry about. there is such a thing called "benign fasciculations" that can happen for many reasons, not just for scary reasons. they can be caused by stress alone, and all of these symptoms - especially undiagnosed - are scary and STRESSFUL.

so, do you remember anything unusual that happened to you before all of your symptoms started? emotional stress, physical trauma, illness, anything??? this sounds really crazy, but i'm 42 and i have had awful symptoms of perimenopause in the past three years or so. i sometimes wonder if this is some freaky hormone imbalance that has made my body painful, inflamed and rebelling. all of this started for me after severe emotional and physical stress. i just feel strongly that there is some connection. how did your symptoms begin and what was happening in your life at the time? lily

Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #13
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

So you still twitch every day, everywhere like me? Can you see your twitches?

So in April I had 5 little red bumps that appeared on my stomach, went to the dr and asked for anti botics in case it was the beginning of something serious. They didnt itch or anything, they were just there. They looked like little flea bites but they werent, I keep a clean place and no pets! A couple days after the spots I got a really bad cold. I then went to AZ to see my sister, at one point I remember a stinging feeling in my big toe, so much I thought I was stung by a scorpion and looked down-nothing. Well I get those sting/nerve pains off and on now. Oh in Feb I was feeling quite tired and getting random dizzy spells (which I have had on and off for yrs but more prevelant in Feb)

About 10 days after AZ I got cosmetic surgery. About 3 wks after that (this would be the end of May my dad was suddenly dx with end stage pancreatic cancer. It was caught by mistake. He was the only parent I have had and so it hit me HARD. About 1 wk after his dx I got my first pain in my lower back-was fine though after about 10min. Then about another week all the pains hit me like a ton of bricks. The pains started jumping around all over, a wk later the joint cracking all over and constant, then 2 months later the twitching. All this time I was flying to AZ every week to see my dad, and well, help him die. He died on Aug 16th.

So I have no clue if the bumps and then cold or the stress of my dad is connected to all of this. Within this time I had emotional stress, physical stress and sickness! SO.....

Have you had your hormones checked?

What about you how did yours all start?

Old 11-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #14
    ruzalily
    (female)

ruzalily HB User

hi k2626,
    i haven't really noticed if i can see my muscles twitching. i can see the one on my lip, but i just haven't looked at the other one's. sometimes they happen too fast for me to actually look at it.

i'm sorry to hear about your dad. that must have been a terrible time in your life - it's no wonder your body shut down. the bites that you had are interesting, possibly a cause of these symptoms. who knows! it makes me mad that we have to be our own diagnosticians!

mine started following really rigorous exercise with weights, during a severely emotional time in my life. i also had other physical issues just prior to this happening - heavy bleeding and surgery to remove ovary, iron supplements due to the bleeding (i had anemia), hormone imbalance, low vitamin d, and i had taken a trip to vermont and new hampshire in march, just before these weird symptoms started. this is one reason that i strongly suspected lyme - and it still could be a possibility.

my new symptom is burning and shaky muscles. i am feeling so down i just don't know what to do anymore. i think i'm going to go back to the neuro, too. i have antibiotics from my surgery, i think i'll take those to see if this is an infection. i also have acyclovir so i may take that to see if it might help, if this is a virus. i'm frustrated, feeling horrible, and getting more hopeless by the day. i hope you are doing better than i am right now! lily

Old 05-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
    ritabeth13
    (female)

ritabeth13 HB User

ruzalily and k2626--have either of you gotten diagnosed? your symptoms mirror mine to a T and I've had no luck with a diagnosis yet although I've only had rudimentary testing.

Closed Thread