It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• TNF Inhibitors and Leukemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
    Red face TNF Inhibitors and Leukemia

The FDA announced a new black box warning on TNF inhibitors (Enbrel, Humira, Remicade, Simponi, Cimzia) used in children and teens.

Quote from the FDA website: "Update to the Warnings section describing reported cases of leukemia in adults, adolescents, and children. Changes to the Warnings section of the labeling will also include additional information on malignancies in children and adolescents."

Whoa, whoa, whoa! "leukemia in adults . . ."??? I've heard of lymphoma, melanoma and other rare immune system cancers (people with autoimmune disease have a higher risk for these cancers) but LEUKEMIA? That's a blood cell cancer - has nothing to do with the immune system. (well, generally speaking, I guess there must be some autoimmune leukemias)

Maybe this is just a few cases they're including in the new warnings sections but it's freaking me out.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 08-04-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: TNF Inhibitors and Leukemia

You should see the warnings on Orencia. It's not a TNF inhibitor, it's a t-cell inhibitor and the highest incidence of any one cancer is lung cancer. Lung cancer in a non-smoker. Just think how Dana Reeve did when she got it and it makes you want to stop the drug. But it's the only drug that has worked for me so I trudge on, reluctantly.

Scary stuff!

Jenny

Old 08-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Yup, I was on Orencia for two years, didn't work for me, they wanted me to try Rituxan next but those B-cell inhibitors are just as spooky and they have to load you up with IV cortisone first.

Of course, as I say that, I'm waiting for one of the interleukins to be approved (like Actemra) and I'm sure the "warning" box on that PI sheet will be even freakier!

"May cause cancer, may cause eyebrow, nose and leg hair to grow uncontrollably, may cause exploding head syndrome (real disorder!), may cause Godzilla to attack your house . . ."

Don'tcha love the TV commercials for some of these pills? Are joke writers writing the warnings? "May cause sudden death . . ." Oh, that's nice.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I didn't know that about Rituxan...good to know. I'm allergic to steroids(sounds impossible but I am...all forms...inhaled, pills, IV, shots, eye drops, creams). No wonder my doc hasn't mentioned it.

Speaking of weurd names for real illnesses, I went to a neurosurgeon about problems ith my cervical spine and told him I was getting really clumsy and dropping things. He said...that's because you have Clumsy Hand Syndrome...a real disorder and I had it. Cured with neck surgery.

Orencia...oh yes you can....die.

Jenny

Old 06-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
    Casadei
    (female)

Casadei HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AuntieLeela View Post
    The FDA announced a new black box warning on TNF inhibitors (Enbrel, Humira, Remicade, Simponi, Cimzia) used in children and teens.

Quote from the FDA website: "Update to the Warnings section describing reported cases of leukemia in adults, adolescents, and children. Changes to the Warnings section of the labeling will also include additional information on malignancies in children and adolescents."

Whoa, whoa, whoa! "leukemia in adults . . ."??? I've heard of lymphoma, melanoma and other rare immune system cancers (people with autoimmune disease have a higher risk for these cancers) but LEUKEMIA? That's a blood cell cancer - has nothing to do with the immune system. (well, generally speaking, I guess there must be some autoimmune leukemias)

Maybe this is just a few cases they're including in the new warnings sections but it's freaking me out.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
    Casadei
    (female)

Casadei HB User

HI, do you know anyone on CIMZIA, it is really new and I am worried about the side effects. Any basic difference between one TNF Inhibitor and the other?

Closed Thread