It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Arthritis in fingers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
    cehutchison
    (female)

cehutchison HB User
    Arthritis in fingers

Specifially, the last two fingers of both hands. I am 58, and both of my parents/had/have arthritis. I was diagnosed last week after having x-rays with early onset arthritis. I can't believe it's early since the pain can be really bad. I wake up in the middle of the night and can't bend my fingers, and they ache and are stiff. They ache all of the time, but especially over night and first thing in the morning. The movement in my fingers is not fluid.
    Am I just doomed to have it get progressively worse to the point that I can no longer use my hands? No treatment other than for pain?

Thank you,
    Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
    faith41
    (female)

faith41 HB User
    Re: Arthritis in fingers

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cehutchison View Post
    Specifially, the last two fingers of both hands. I am 58, and both of my parents/had/have arthritis. I was diagnosed last week after having x-rays with early onset arthritis. I can't believe it's early since the pain can be really bad. I wake up in the middle of the night and can't bend my fingers, and they ache and are stiff. They ache all of the time, but especially over night and first thing in the morning. The movement in my fingers is not fluid.
    Am I just doomed to have it get progressively worse to the point that I can no longer use my hands? No treatment other than for pain?

Thank you,
    Cindy
    There is hope. I too had stiffness and pain in all my fingers and my hands were swollen. I could not bend any finger. I couldn't even pick up a plate or hold a toothbrush.
    I went to my doctor who sent me to a rhuematologist. In October I started on methatrexate and a low dose of prednisone. In a few weeks I had no pain and almost all my flexibility in my fingers again. Methatrexate helped avoid damage too.

You need to see a rhuematologist who can assess what is going on and make the best recommendation of medicines for you. You can avoid damage with the medicines that are available today.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
    cehutchison
    (female)

cehutchison HB User
    Smile Re: Arthritis in fingers

Quote:
    Originally Posted by faith41 View Post
    There is hope. I too had stiffness and pain in all my fingers and my hands were swollen. I could not bend any finger. I couldn't even pick up a plate or hold a toothbrush.
    I went to my doctor who sent me to a rhuematologist. In October I started on methatrexate and a low dose of prednisone. In a few weeks I had no pain and almost all my flexibility in my fingers again. Methatrexate helped avoid damage too.

You need to see a rhuematologist who can assess what is going on and make the best recommendation of medicines for you. You can avoid damage with the medicines that are available today.
    Thank you so much for the reply. I can't believe my doctor just looked at the x-rays and verified that it is arthritis. She made no suggestions on what to do for pain management or to slow down the progression of the damage. I may have to check in to a doctor who will be helpful. I left a message with them. If/when they return the call, I will mention the meds you suggested.

Thanks again so much. I don't feel quite as hopeless.

Closed Thread