It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Anterior hip surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
    Belairtel
    (male)

Belairtel HB User
    Anterior hip surgery

I will be needing total hip replacement in the near future. I have read about Anterior hip replacement. I would appreciate any info about the results of this type of surgery and any good doctors that specialize in anterior surgery.I am in Nassau county NY. But I'm thinking of having this done at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
    faith41
    (female)

faith41 HB User
    Re: Anterior hip surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belairtel View Post
    I will be needing total hip replacement in the near future. I have read about Anterior hip replacement. I would appreciate any info about the results of this type of surgery and any good doctors that specialize in anterior surgery.I am in Nassau county NY. But I'm thinking of having this done at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC>
    I had the anterior hip replacement surgery in September at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore MD. It is the best. I never think of my hip now unless someone asks me about it. I was in the hospital 3 days and had very little pain by the 3rd day.

No physical therapy is needed before or after. I walked with a walker the first week I was home, a cane the second week and by myself as well as driving the third week. Every one who had the 'old' kind was amazed and wished they had heard about it and had it.
    Go for it and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
    Belairtel
    (male)

Belairtel HB User

Thanks for the info, I'm really leaning toward the anterior approach.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
    theonlysuz
    (female)

theonlysuz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belairtel View Post
    I am having anterior MIS THR at Phelps in Westchester Sep 10 2010 with Dr. Corey Burak - the BEST in New England I hear. I didn't think they did this at ***. I have done LOTS of research and I will be flying in from VT for my preop Hosp physical on Sep 1 and then drive down with my husband for the surgery. I should be in the hosp for about 3 days and then be ok to drive home. Dr. B says I will be able to walk up the stairs to my bedroom without assistance, or cane or anything when I get home and will be back to skiing this winter.

Can't wait!
    Suz

Old 08-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
    theonlysuz
    (female)

theonlysuz HB User

BTW I meant to write that I am having this THR because I have a labral tear and cyst from an injury that wasn't diagnosed for 8 years and now with arthritis added to it the THR was what was recommended by my docs. It will be ceramic / ceramic.

Suz

Old 05-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
    mqwdiver
    (female)

mqwdiver HB User

Hi. I just returned home from Mercy after Dr. Hungerford gave me a new hip via the anterior approach. I'm 54 and was discharged with a cane! Pain in hospital was never above a 4-5, and most of the time it was a 2-3. Definatley theway to go. Anterior approach with the Hana Table!

Closed Thread