It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Rheumatoid Arthritis Sore throat and pain in ear

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
    sunstar48
    (female)

sunstar48 HB User
    Sore throat and pain in ear

I saw a rheumatologist a couple weeks ago who is pretty sure I have RA, despite the fact that all my blood tests did not indicate this. The pain is mostly in my hands and wrists but occasionally I can feel it in my shoulders and knees. However, my biggest and scariest complaint is the sore throat I have had for months. It started about the same time I had hand pain, culturess were negative, etc. In the past couple weeks it has progressed to hoarseness and now I also have tinnitus and an "echo sound" in my left ear. My rheumy and my PCP have each given me different medications to help with this but nothing is working. I also feel slightly feverish at times and am so tired most of the time! Has anyone else experienced this? I can handle things much better if I know it's linked to the RA but the docs won't even really address this. Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Sore throat and pain in ear

The fever and tiredness is part of Ra for sure. But I'm not sure of the sore throat and ear problems. But I know Ra can do some weird stuff to you. It affects my eyes pretty badly and I've only had it for 6 years. Heart and brain too. So it wouldn't surprise me if your throat and ears were Ra problems. Anywhere there are blood vessels, Ra can spring up as it can inflame the blood vessels themselves.

But Ra can also make you more susceptible to infections as can the meds they give for it. So it can make a virus last a long time and you are more likely to get a secondary infection with RA. So anything needs to be watched and tested for. Keep both docs well informed as to what is happening.

Let me know what the doc thinks the sore throat is from...I'd be really interested.

hugs..............Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
    sunstar48 (06-01-2011)
    Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
    sunstar48
    (female)

sunstar48 HB User
    Re: Sore throat and pain in ear

Thanks, Jenny. That makes sense about the infections and everything lasting longer. Sorry to hear how it's affected you!
    I'm not on any meds yet and am seeing a naturopath and possibly an ENT doctor this week. I'll let you know what I find out.
    Take care,
    Marcia

Closed Thread

Tags
    ear clogged, r.a., rheumatoid arthritis, sore throat, tinnitus