It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Teens With Arthritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
    ASTeenJIA
    (female)

ASTeenJIA HB User
    Teens With Arthritis

Hi, my name is Sarah and I am 16 almost 17. I have been living with arthritis for as long as I can remember. I had always been complaining that I had sprained everything. I would complain that I could not move my wrist and then when we would get to the doctors for an x-ray they would ask for my wrist and I would switch them because they both hurt and I would be told that I should stop kidding around. I couldn't do all the same things as everyone else because certain things just hurt. When I couldn't come up with a reason for why I was in pain, everyone resulted to, oh well it must be growing pains. I would complain to doctors but x-rays would show nothing. Because of my Lyme disease I thought it may have caused arthritis but symptoms were from before I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. I complained about pain in my chest and was finally sent to a rheumatologist who did blood tests and an MRI. They finally diagnosed me with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis. I was so happy to finally find a source for this pain and find medication that might actually help. I was diagnosed almost two years ago and have finally found a medication that seems to be working best. Humira is an injection but even though I am not a fan of shots, it is totally worth the pain of that needle and medication for 1-2 weeks of minimal pain. If anyone is on Humira, do you know if there is anyway to prevent some medication from leaking out? Half the time I give myself the shot, the medication leaks out but when it is done with a full dose, it is so rewarding to have a break from full force aching pain. Also, if anyone has had any special diet that has helped, please let me know. I have heard rumors of certain diets but they were not from people who had actually tried them. Thank you for letting me blog and taking the time to read my blog. Please share your stories! I don't know any other teen with arthritis so your stories really help me cope on my bad days that there are others like me and that I am not fighting this battle on my own. I wish you all a pain-free day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
    paperbgprinces
    (female)

paperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB User
    Re: Teens With Arthritis

Hey there =]

My name is Sarah too. Although I'm not a teen (I'm 21), I'm probably closer to your age than most people here! I'm sorry you've going through this, there are adults who struggle to cope with this disease, so you're doing amazingly well. I'm seeing a rheumatologist and she's still trying to figure out exactly what the cause of it is.

You say you sprain everything. I have this problem too and I was told I have 'hypermobile joint syndrome'. Not sure if your joints are hypermobile, but it might be related.

I'm sorry it took you so long to get a diagnosis, but at least you're on the best drugs and you're obviously seeing a competent rheumatologist. I don't know about the leaking out of the medication, but there are other arthritis boards that are probably more active than this one. This board has some crazy rules, so I don't know if I can post the links here. But post your question about.

I have Celiac Disease so I can't eat gluten. I've read that many people with autoimmune arthritis find removing gluten from their diet have helped a lot. There are some anti-inflammatory diets, but I don't know how successful they are. You could Google it!

Good luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-17-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 07-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
    ASTeenJIA
    (female)

ASTeenJIA HB User

Thank you so much Sarah! Your reply was very nice and I enjoyed reading it. It turns out that the 'sprained' limbs turned out to be not actually sprained but the arthritis. I will try looking on other blogs and I hope everything works out for you as well! Have a wonderful day!

Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
    paperbgprinces
    (female)

paperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB User

Gees, I think the moderators are following me on this site!

I'm glad they were able to find the cause of your sprains then! Thanks =]

Sarah

Old 07-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
    Dontdrinkurmilk
    (male)

Dontdrinkurmilk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASTeenJIA View Post
    Thank you so much Sarah! Your reply was very nice and I enjoyed reading it. It turns out that the 'sprained' limbs turned out to be not actually sprained but the arthritis. I will try looking on other blogs and I hope everything works out for you as well! Have a wonderful day!
    Hi All,

I am also sorry about what you have been through it is tough, i am 24 as of last week :-), i was 11 when diagnosed with RA i too complained but Doctors palmed it off as growing pains, i researched the disease myself and the 3rd trip to the doctors i convinced them, they did blood tests and hey i was right it was arthritis. I now live pain free just by eating no dairy products just soya milk soya bread etc....green tea and plenty of water, ive heard this helps allot of RA sufferers might be worth a go, i dont take any drugs for my RA any more i used to take Naproxen which helped. Please try the non dairy diet.

Thanks

Old 07-18-2011, 04:47 AM   #6
    ASTeenJIA
    (female)

ASTeenJIA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dontdrinkurmilk View Post
    Hi All,

I am also sorry about what you have been through it is tough, i am 24 as of last week :-), i was 11 when diagnosed with RA i too complained but Doctors palmed it off as growing pains, i researched the disease myself and the 3rd trip to the doctors i convinced them, they did blood tests and hey i was right it was arthritis. I now live pain free just by eating no dairy products just soya milk soya bread etc....green tea and plenty of water, ive heard this helps allot of RA sufferers might be worth a go, i dont take any drugs for my RA any more i used to take Naproxen which helped. Please try the non dairy diet.

Thanks
    Thank you so much for your reply! I will try the non-dairy diet and see how it works! (: I am glad to hear you are pain free! Have a wonderful day!

Old 07-18-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
    Dontdrinkurmilk
    (male)

Dontdrinkurmilk HB User

Quote:
    Thank you so much for your reply! I will try the non-dairy diet and see how it works! (: I am glad to hear you are pain free! Have a wonderful day!
    No Problem, i really hope it helps you let us know! thanks

Old 07-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
    lydiathelaowai
    (female)

lydiathelaowai HB User

Aaahh!!! I have found some peeps like me... who have posted within the last century! ;)

My name's Lydia, I'm from England, aged 16, and I was diagnosed with poly-articular Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis in the winter of 2010. Apparently I'd had it for quite a few years before then.

I had steroid shots for the first time of Saturday into four fingers, both wrists, and one ankle. Does anyone have any feedback on how steriods have worked for them?

Also... AAAHHH!!! MY PHYSIOTHERAPY EXERCISES ARE MAKING MY LIFE MISERABLEEE!!!! In fact, I'd rather have joint pain than do all the pointless gymnastics required of me each day, so I'm thinking of giving them up within the next two weeks. unless my physiotherapist (speak of the devil!) can wheedle me into doing one or two absolutely essential ones... although physiotherapists seem incapable of comprehending the phrase "absolutely essential", so I'm rather sceptical. :P

Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
    ASTeenJIA
    (female)

ASTeenJIA HB User

Hi Lydia,

I am so glad to hear from you! It is so frustrating the lack of communication going on between teens with arthritis out there.

For steroids, I just got steroids for this 'flare up' on Sunday but in pill form. I don't see any difference yet, but I also just took my humira injection tonight, so maybe I need both to form some sort of a reaction?
    I do not have a physiotherapist but from the sounds of it, I do not want one!

I hope you soon become pain free and I am very glad to hear from some one like me. While being surrounded by people that have no idea that children and teens can even get arthritis, it is sometimes hard to realize that there are actually others like me out there. Thank you! (: Oh and by the way, July is Juvenile Arthritis month, I have been posting it everywhere to help spread the word.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-26-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 07-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
    james079
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
    Hi Lydia,

I am so glad to hear from you! It is so frustrating the lack of communication going on between teens with arthritis out there.

For steroids, I just got steroids for this 'flare up' on Sunday but in pill form. I don't see any difference yet, but I also just took my humira injection tonight, so maybe I need both to form some sort of a reaction?
    I do not have a physiotherapist but from the sounds of it, I do not want one!

I hope you soon become pain free and I am very glad to hear from some one like me. While being surrounded by people that have no idea that children and teens can even get arthritis, it is sometimes hard to realize that there are actually others like me out there. Thank you! (: Oh and by the way, July is Juvenile Arthritis month, I have been posting it everywhere to help spread the word.
    You may not want a physiotherapist but you should have one. With AS as you must know that movement in the spine will become restricted in some fashion. Unfortunately the position of some flexion gives relief in most AS patients. Flexion is the worst posture to be had, as your spine flexes and then you have to jut your chin out so your eyes are level. So get a PT get measured, do the exercises and check in every so often to make sure you are on the right road.
    James

Old 07-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
    ASTeenJIA
    (female)

ASTeenJIA HB User

Thank you James! I shall take that into consideration. I appreciate hearing all points of views. (:

Closed Thread