It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

What kind of doctor should I see?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas USA
Posts: 26
Agnes77 HB User
What kind of doctor should I see?

I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my back and neck. I also was diagnosed with fibro.
I have pretty severe pain in my neck and back. At times the pain shoots from my neck down my arm and in my chest. Other times I have pain in my hip or low back that shoots down my legs and when these episodes occur I can barely move.
I am in my 30's and a single parent. I have to work and I don't have help with the kids. I can't afford to be down.

I went to a rheumotologist and that was worthless. I feel like there must be some kind of nerve issue going on as well. Sometimes my feet and or toes go numb too. I also get cramps in my feet, legs, and neck.

Should I see a neurologist? What kind of doctor can help me. Also, none of my doctors were willing to order me a MRI and I think I need one so they can see everything. They have only done x-rays.

I want to schedule an appt. with another specialist on Monday so would like some input on what kind of specialist I should contact.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 12-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,894
Blog Entries: 12
jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: What kind of doctor should I see?

I would look for a pain management doctor or clinic that treats people in chronic pain usually from spine problems or other neurologic disorders such as fibro. The problem with spines is that surgery is usually a last resort after years of dealing with it, so a spine doc is somewhat worthless until you need surgery. Fibro is also now seen as a neurologic disorder and some of the meds used to treat fibro are the same as for spine problems.

Some clinics have pretty strict rules as they deal with people on chronic narcotics but you can still have a good doc and good resources with them. Most have PT and counseling to help you deal with all the pain.

And when the time comes that you do need surgery, they can help you find the best doc for the job.

Jen(fused C3 to T1...OA and RA)

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Childhood, teens and now 20's with arthritis... what now? megzz Arthritis 2 10-14-2010 01:20 PM
what kind of doctor do I see for oseoarthritis? joanie77 Arthritis 5 03-10-2009 07:15 AM
What do you all think? peacequeen Arthritis 2 07-22-2008 11:31 AM
what kind of doctor do i see for back arthritis chnye2004 Arthritis 1 01-06-2008 06:03 PM
please help with signs of arthritis tandjsmom Arthritis 8 03-27-2007 08:43 AM
arthritis in feet sammi2 Arthritis 8 02-08-2007 09:23 AM
Not Arthritis? Then what? Wolfman Arthritis 19 11-07-2004 05:08 PM
What kind of Dr. do you use for your Osteoarthritis care? DGO1223 Arthritis 8 09-21-2004 10:27 AM
What excercises could I do? Wolfman Arthritis 2 02-12-2004 04:18 PM
How to know what kind of arthritis you have? Rorie Arthritis 1 11-06-2003 06:33 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!