It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

My middle finger is bent at all knuckles and both hands knuckles are swollen.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
alwaysawkward
(female)

alwaysawkward HB User
Unhappy My middle finger is bent at all knuckles and both hands knuckles are swollen.

Hi,

My middle right finger is bent at all knuckles and I can not unbend it unless I put it on a flat surface and push. It hurts like mad when I do. My knuckles on both hands are pretty swollen to.

is this some form of juvenile arthritis (I am only 19) or could it just be nothing and will stop sooner or later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: My middle finger is bent at all knuckles and both hands knuckles are swollen.

It could be arthritis (possibly something like rheumatoid arthritis) or it could be a problem with the muscles or tendons around your finger.

Get it checked out. If it is the type of arthritis that causes joint swelling, the best way to diagnose it is by blood tests. Meanwhile, ice or heat may provide relief, along with gentle stretching of the wrists and fingers.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
alwaysawkward (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: My middle finger is bent at all knuckles and both hands knuckles are swollen.

Hi,
I have bony lumps on a number of my fingers and have been diagnosed with Arthritis.
I would advice you to get this looked at as Arthritis is a painful condition and though you are young it is possible for it to appear in a young person.
I would also recommend OMEGA 3 Fish-Oil added to your diet. It is not a cure but it can really help, even if its not Arthritis it would pay you to let your Dr have a look.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
alwaysawkward (02-10-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
jennybyc
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I have the same thing in my right middle finger. It's from swollen tendons that are holding the finger in that position. See a doc about getting a cortisone shot in the tendon and that should release it. Sounds more painful than it is so don't fear the shot...you'll love the result.

The call it trigger finger as it looks like you are about to pull the trigger of a gun. You may need some PT to help the tendons go down and let the finger stretch out. If it doesn't, they can do surgery to release the tendon....have someone in the family who had this in all 4 fingers of both hands and had the surgery and went from "claws" to normal hands over night.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
alwaysawkward (02-10-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
arthirits, bent, hand, swollen, young