It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Worried that I may have arthritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
    SarahMck664
    (female)

SarahMck664 HB User
    Worried that I may have arthritis

Hi, I'm 21 years old and for the last 6-7 months I've been having having swelling and pain in my legs. The pain would come on quickly and would last a few weeks at a time. The pain is in my kneecaps, when they are sore they would always crack when I move, when bending down in work it feels like my knees are being ripped apart and it very hard to get back up again due to the mass amount of pain. I've been to the doctors several times. My imflammation levels have alway been normal, even though there has been obvious swelling to my legs and also my neck which the doctor says was not my glands. They done a load of blood tests which all came back normal, except my white blood count and my folic acid came back as low. I was given tablets for my folic acid and told to come back again if I had any problems. A few months later my legs started to swell and the pain was back but a lot worse. I found that at night I would wake up in the middle of the night and my knees would feel as if they were on fire. Went back to the doctors and I got tested again. My anti dna came back normal but it should up that I have La antibodies 2.9 reading (ssb). The doctors say they don't know what this could mean so I am being referred to the hospital and also getting xrays. I'm just wondering if anyway has been through this, or have any idea what this could mean! Sorry for the long read! Lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
    SpiceMan1
    (male)

SpiceMan1 HB User
    Re: Worried that I may have arthritis

Hi Sarah
    If you are worried that you have Arthritis I suggest you try to consume Turmeric in your food - Turmeric is an Indian spice used widely in Asian cooking and gives curry it's golden colour. Turmeric has very powerful anti-inflammatory effects. Arthritis is caused by inflammation.
    You can buy Turmeric powder at a large supermarket in the spice rack.
    Studies have shown that Turmeric can reverse Arthritis as well as other inflammatory diseases like Alzheimer's disease.

Good luck.

Last edited by SpiceMan1; 05-06-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Sweet heart,

I read your post and I feel very concern. I am not a doctor but I know enough about medicine from learning and from my own experience.

Here is what I think.
    #1. Change your doctors. You immediately need a good group of doctors who will work hard on diagnosing your problems. I mean Rheumatologist, Internist for a start.
    #2. It's Ok that all your blood work shows nothing, but you still may have RA or Lupus. Lupus is easy to diagnose but RA is not. Often a good RA doctor, by symptoms only, may diagnose a patient with RA while his blood work is perfectly normal. This was me. I struggled for years in agony, many RA Dr didn't believe I have RA, and it took one good Dr who asked me why did I come so late? By the time of diagnoses my heart and my lungs were affected by this terrible disease.
    #3. I wouldn't take Leucosytes lightly. High white cells in blood work may tell a story. It can be something mild or it can be something very alerting and dangerous.
    You must insist on taking you seriously and if you see they don't, time to find a good doctor. Believe or not, it took me 3 years and about 10 medical offices to finally find a good RA DR. And cardiologist... and Pain Mgmt... and spinal surgeon... And not only me; many people struggle with this matter. If you allowed to be treated like a number, not a person in pain and real medical issues - you will walk misdiagnosed for years missing something important.
    Do not let any doctor to tell you, without any proof, that your swollen knees and your High white cells are nothing or maybe this or maybe that. You make a point that you need the answers, the right ones.

I am not a Dr but your symptoms seem pretty serious to me. It's wrong to look at your knees problem as simple Arthritis and if MRI shows nothing, it means you are OK. Swollen knees or any part of the body can be a sign of something absolutely different than just arthritis. I watched on TV how sick one man was, his all joints were red and swollen, they thought it Ra but ended up it was worms he inherited during his vacation to Mexico. He almost died only b/c his doctors looked at him only in 1 direction: RA. Unfortunately too many doctors have problem to look outside the box; we, patients have to be our own doctors and help ourselves. This is a world we live in nowadays.

Best wishes to you sweet heart, hope for your soon recovery.
    Moldova

Old 05-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Sweet heart,

I read your post and I feel very concern. I am not a doctor but I know enough about medicine from learning and from my own experience.

Here is what I think.
    #1. Change your doctors. You immediately need a good group of doctors who will work hard on diagnosing your problems. I mean Rheumatologist, Internist for a start.
    #2. It's Ok that all your blood work shows nothing, but you still may have RA or Lupus. Lupus is easy to diagnose but RA is not. Often a good RA doctor, by symptoms only, may diagnose a patient with RA while his blood work is perfectly normal. This was me. I struggled for years in agony, many RA Dr didn't believe I have RA, and it took one good Dr who asked me why did I come so late? By the time of diagnoses my heart and my lungs were affected by this terrible disease.
    #3. I wouldn't take Leucosytes lightly. High white cells in blood work may tell a story. It can be something mild or it can be something very alerting and dangerous.
    You must insist on taking you seriously and if you see they don't, time to find a good doctor. Believe or not, it took me 3 years and about 10 medical offices to finally find a good RA DR. And cardiologist... and Pain Mgmt... and spinal surgeon... And not only me; many people struggle with this matter. If you allowed to be treated like a number, not a person in pain and real medical issues - you will walk misdiagnosed for years missing something important.
    Do not let any doctor to tell you, without any proof, that your swollen knees and your High white cells are nothing or maybe this or maybe that. You make a point that you need the answers, the right ones.

I am not a Dr but your symptoms seem pretty serious to me. It's wrong to look at your knees problem as simple Arthritis and if MRI shows nothing, it means you are OK. Swollen knees or any part of the body can be a sign of something absolutely different than just arthritis. I watched on TV how sick one man was, his all joints were red and swollen, they thought it Ra but ended up it was worms he inherited during his vacation to Mexico. He almost died only b/c his doctors looked at him only in 1 direction: RA. Unfortunately too many doctors have problem to look outside the box; we, patients have to be our own doctors and help ourselves. This is a world we live in nowadays.

Best wishes to you sweet heart, hope for your soon recovery.
    Moldova

Closed Thread

Tags
    arthritis, lupus