It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board

• Rheumatoid arthritis/allergic reaction? Please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2014, 03:46 AM   #1
    Claire197
    (female)

Claire197 HB User
    Rheumatoid arthritis/allergic reaction? Please help

Hello, I'm sorry if this is long but am desperate for some help/advice

5 weeks ago I went to the doctors because of indigestion/heartburn. I was prescribed omeprazole (Prilosec) 40mg once a day. At this point I had no other symptoms at all.

On the second day of taking these I noticed joint pain in my wrists. (I recognised this from taking omeprazole a few years ago, wrist pain,knees etc at that point I stopped them after about 4 days) I continued with the omeprazole for 2 weeks, all the while the joint pain was getting worse and worse but I thought it would stop once I'd got used to them.

After 2 weeks and now in agony with joint pain in every joint I stopped the omeprazole.

One week off them I went back to the doctors because of the pain, she did routine blood tests which showed my ESR was elevated to 31 and CRP was also up.

By this point I am in real pain. One week later still in agony doctor repeated bloods which showed ESR was now 61 and CRP up again.

I have been referred to a rheumatologist and am waiting for the appointment.

It's now 3 weeks since I stopped the omeprazole. Every joint in my body is sore, my fingers,wrists,elbows,shoulders,neck,kne es,ankles and even my jaw. When I wake up in the morning I can hardly move and its only after being up a few hours, painkillers (tramadol and ibuprofen) that the pain dies down a bit but is still always there and always very painful.

I have no warmth or redness of the joints and maybe a little bit of swelling but not that anyone else can see.

Can rheumatoid arthritis start that quickly?

I went from no pain to every joint in my body sore. Because I know I had joint pain from omeprazole before I can't help but think its a reaction to the medication.

I have read about a serum sickness like reaction to medication that causes bad joint pain.

I'm so frightened about what's wrong with me and in so much pain.

Please can anybody help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #2
    Rose bella
    (female)

Rose bella HB User
    Re: Rheumatoid arthritis/allergic reaction? Please help

Arthritis implies inflammation in a joint. Joint inflammation causes redness, warmth, swelling, and pain inside the joint.

Rheumatoid joint pain is a sort of ceaseless joint pain that happens in joints on both sides of the body, (for example, both hands, both wrists and both knees). This symmetry aides recognize rheumatoid joint pain from different sorts of joint inflammation.

Symptoms of Rheumatoid
    • Joint pain and swelling
    • Solidness, particularly in the morning or in the wake of sitting for long periods
    • Weariness

Rheumatoid joint pain influences everybody in an unexpected way. For some, joint symptoms create step by step over a few years. In others, rheumatoid joint pain may create rapidly, while other individuals may have rheumatoid joint inflammation for a brief time and then have a period with no symptoms, called abatement.

I tried “Flexdermal” for my Rheumatoid Arthritis and it worked fantastically. Within few days I experienced less pain in my joints. Effective product!!!

Old 08-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
    peggy sue 123
    (female)

peggy sue 123 HB User

Hey I am so very sorry you are hurting like you are. I completely understand as I have RA and have just come off of a very bad time with it as the meds I was on stopped working. To answer your question yes it can come on all of a sudden like that. My husband and I both have RA and it did him just like you are describing. He was almost in a wheelchair but with God and our RA doctor he is doing awesome now. So if you are experiencing and it sounds like you are RA there is alot of hope and help out there. Keep your spirits up.
    Hugs to ya
    Peggy

Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,

So it seems like you think the PPI has triggered your Arthritis off.
    I am about to start a short course of Nexium (have taken it before) as I get stomach ulcers.
    I also have Arthritis so I will look this up and see if there is a connection at all.
    I have Arthritis in my fingers and shoulder but had it before ever taking PPIs. Of course everyone reacts differently to medications but you have given me cause to think about this,

Solofelix.

Closed Thread

Tags
    allergic reaction, arthritis, prilosec