It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board

Aspergers or Anxiety?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
danibou32

danibou32 HB User
Aspergers or Anxiety?

Hi,

This is my first time posting to a blog. I was originally (self) diagnosed with depression. I went to therapy, but it didn't seem to be helping. I then self-diagnosed OCD. I gave myself that diagnosis because the symptoms fit. I got help, and it worked, but now I feel like there are other symptoms not readily explained by anxiety. I'm waiting to see a psychologist, but I gave to wait like two weeks.

I'm wondering if my symptoms aren't better explained by Aspergers. I have normal intelligence. I developed normally as a kid, but had a lot of trouble with social skills. I didn't have friends. I had trouble with eye contact. I have sensory issues. In college, I thought I had friends but they didn't view me as a friend. I don't know how to interact with people. I feel like I'm missing the manual that everyone else has. I started this process when I was 19, with my depression. I'm 26 now and wondering if we've only been treating symptoms instead of causes. My husband thinks everything can be explained by anxiety. I talked to my therapist about it, but she refused to comment. I've had about eight therapists with 8 different impressions of me. One said I was classic Aspergers, but I wrote him off because I wasn't super smart/a genius. I know now that that doesnt have to be the case.
If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. There is something different about me, but i don't know what.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Aspergers or Anxiety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danibou32 View Post
Hi,

This is my first time posting to a blog. I was originally (self) diagnosed with depression. I went to therapy, but it didn't seem to be helping. I then self-diagnosed OCD. I gave myself that diagnosis because the symptoms fit. I got help, and it worked, but now I feel like there are other symptoms not readily explained by anxiety. I'm waiting to see a psychologist, but I gave to wait like two weeks.

I'm wondering if my symptoms aren't better explained by Aspergers. I have normal intelligence. I developed normally as a kid, but had a lot of trouble with social skills. I didn't have friends. I had trouble with eye contact. I have sensory issues. In college, I thought I had friends but they didn't view me as a friend. I don't know how to interact with people. I feel like I'm missing the manual that everyone else has. I started this process when I was 19, with my depression. I'm 26 now and wondering if we've only been treating symptoms instead of causes. My husband thinks everything can be explained by anxiety. I talked to my therapist about it, but she refused to comment. I've had about eight therapists with 8 different impressions of me. One said I was classic Aspergers, but I wrote him off because I wasn't super smart/a genius. I know now that that doesnt have to be the case.
If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. There is something different about me, but i don't know what.
You said one of your therapists claimed that you have classic Asperger's. What symptoms did he base that on? And what did he say treatment would consist of? Did he say you could overcome it with treatment?

Have you ever considered just accepting yourself as you are? Lots of people don't have good social skills and I consider myself to be one of them. All through my school days the few good friends I had were those who reached out to me. I never tried to make friends with anyone. Now I'm a lot older and I accept the fact that I'm pretty much satisfied with my own company and I don't feel lonely. So isn't it possible that you too might learn to be accepting and come to terms with who you are?

If Asperger's is a personality type, which I suspect it might be, I don't see how it can be changed through therapy. Personalities don't change, in my opinion. At least I've never seen it happen. And you've had 8 different therapists with no results. Doesn't that make you skeptical?

Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety, aspergers, ocd