It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board

I'm certain my son is an Aspie but not sure where to go from here

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
mykidzmom
(female)

mykidzmom HB User
Question I'm certain my son is an Aspie but not sure where to go from here

Hey all. My son is 16 & since he was a baby, I have known he is "different" and at one (okay several) times, considered that he might be autistic. Now, that I have learned about Asperger's, I know that is my son. We tell him he's a "special kind of different".. he embraces his uniqueness & actually revels in it. I don't want to belittle an official diagnosis & treatment but I would like to know what treatments are available and also what benefit an official diagnosis would be.

I have wrestled with trying to find out how to get him diagnosed and then trying to figure out what good it would do if he was diagnosed. I love his eccentricities & do not want to change him however I want to give him the best possible future that I can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Jacqueline414
(female)

Jacqueline414 HB User
Smile Re: I'm certain my son is an Aspie but not sure where to go from here

Hi. I'm 26 years old right now but I was diagnosed with asperger's syndrome and autism when I was 21, so it was several years ago.

It is simply a difference in thinking, feeling, and acting.

I can kind of relate to your son then.

My best advice is that you should be asking your doctor these questions. Doctors come in many different disciplines so it is important to choose the right one; since this is a mental problem you should choose a doctor that specializes in mental health.

If you don't have a doctor I suggest you find the best one possible.

I am not a doctor, but I luckily do have one I can talk to and ask questions about things I don't know about.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-23-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Jacqueline414
(female)

Jacqueline414 HB User

I have looked for years for a cure for Autism and Asperger's Syndrome, but I keep being told that there is not one. Which pretty much stinks because I was holding out such high hopes that one day you would wake up and not be autistic or asperger's anymore. And those hopes come crashing down on you when they tell you there is no cure. It's kind of sad they give you such bad news.

I experience what I call "thinking problems" in which the information that goes through my mind if sometimes not processed all the way. My mom thinks its because of my autism, but I can challenge her opinion since she is not a doctor either.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-23-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Jacqueline414
(female)

Jacqueline414 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by natenkayliesmom View Post
Hey all. My son is 16 & since he was a baby, I have known he is "different" and at one (okay several) times, considered that he might be autistic. Now, that I have learned about Asperger's, I know that is my son. We tell him he's a "special kind of different".. he embraces his uniqueness & actually revels in it. I don't want to belittle an official diagnosis & treatment but I would like to know what treatments are available and also what benefit an official diagnosis would be.

I have wrestled with trying to find out how to get him diagnosed and then trying to figure out what good it would do if he was diagnosed. I love his eccentricities & do not want to change him however I want to give him the best possible future that I can.
Select a hospital of your choice and apply to see a doctor there that specializes in mental health problems. Ask the hospital of your choice how to apply to see a physician of your choice. Autism/asperger's is a disorder of the brain. You may also want to see a doctor that specializes in the brain, such as a neurologist.

I am sorry, I do not know how much money it will cost you.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #5
JaneSJ
(female)

JaneSJ HB User
Re: I'm certain my son is an Aspie but not sure where to go from here

Hi,

I know you posted this a while ago but if you are in the UK, there may be a CAMHS service near you. We self referred though our GP and we also have a family worker (a bit like a health visitor) and we see a paediatrician. Everything takes a very long time though, it was 12 weeks from refferal to actually meeting with CAHMS.

Jane x

Reply Reply