It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board

No such thing as Aspergers anymore?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
stingafurt
(male)

stingafurt HB User
Cool No such thing as Aspergers anymore?

Hello!

Being diagnosed mere months before DSM 5 ignored our existence, i wondered if now i have nothing to be "sick" about.

Of course that's not true. Aspies will always be aspies to me and especially to myself. i know i will always be aspergian and have no quarrel with that. i want Reality, and that reality says i'm an aspie, now and ten years from now.

i am grateful for all the books that i have explaining me to myself so i will always remember how to help myself.

DSM likely wants only to save the Health System money, i believe, as more and more of us were being diagnosed all the time.
So cheers to aspies everywhere (even though i don't drink) and never forget we are special not wrong or "sick."

Long Live Aspergers! stingafurt

Last edited by Administrator; 04-27-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Sunshine gal
(female)

Sunshine gal HB User
Re: No such thing as Aspergers anymore?

I had the same thoughts about Asperger's not being anymore. My Psychiatrist put me straight. What the DSM-V does is moves Asperger's to one end of the Autism Spectrum. It's all about funding research. When Asperger's wasn't recognized as Autistic, there was great difficulty getting research done. Not that it's all that easier now, just now new doors have been opened.

Coincidentally, my Psychiatrist treats my depression. He's the one who cued in on my Asperger's after he heard an interview on NPR with Temple Grandin. That was a few years ago. Since then, he has now (actually just yesterday) put me on 2 different Rx's to help me with my issues.

Here's to hoping that they help!

Reply Reply