It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asperger's Syndrome Message Board

• Planning for my son's future with Aspergers

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
    MySilentLife
    (female)

MySilentLife HB User
    Planning for my son's future with Aspergers

I would love as many opinions as possible on this subject:
    Kindergarten. To go...or not to go....that is the question.
    My son was diagnosed with high functioning asperger's. Please get past the politically incorrect verbage I use since I am fairly new with this diagnosis and am just learning.
    My son turned 5 in March. He is academically ready for kindergarten, maybe he's even a little socially ready...but everything I read says this changes around first grade. In all fairness, he has fine motor problems and a little sensory too- but loves kids, people and school.
    By holding him back or having him repeat kindergarten, will this help him down the road? I'm blindly trying to make this decision and would love to hear from some people who have been there or have the knowledge to share as to why, or why not I should do this.
    Please consider his options are:
    Going to Private Kindergarten and then repeating Kindergarten in the public school system the following year.
    Going to a private Pre-K (although I think he will be bored since he just finished Pre-K and did excellent there). Then attending either the private school Kindergarten or public school.
    WE also have an option of a private school in the area who does a Kindergarten curriculum in their Pre-K class, and first grade in their Kindergarten class.
    Public school will not allow you to repeat Kindergarten (plus, I don't think it would be good for him to repeat at the same school). The public school has 11 kindergarten classes with 26 kids in them.
    the Private school's have 8-12 in the class.
    Here is the info I am working with. Now how do I make a decision on something, when I don't know what the future holds.
    Does anyone have some words of wisdom?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
    JaneSJ
    (female)

JaneSJ HB User
    Re: Planning for my son's future with Aspergers

Hi,

I am in the UK. My oldest has Asperger's but he is a few years older than your son and we only found out recently. We don't have the same system as you, In the Uk children generally attend state funded nursery from 3 years old and then start school between the ages of 4 and 5. Our son went to private nursery from very young and then straight to a state funded school, 4 months before he turned 5. What a mistake that was! He had done so well at nursery, he could write his name and do simple maths questions at 3 years old and enjoyed most aspects of nursery, although looking back there was definitely some traits we didn't notice, but no major problems. The nursery probably had around 15 children in that age group and their key workers had about 6 children each. At school there was 50 children in 1 large classroom with 2 class teachers and a teaching assistant. From the first day we had huge problems; tantrums, hiding under furniture, refusing to take part etc and 4 years later we still haven't got much further. My sons problem is that although he is classed as "gifted" for his level of intellect, he requires a lot of adult input. If I could afford it I would put him into a private school simply because the numbers are smaller. I would see how your son responds in different group situations and judge by how much individual input and support he needs. I would probably also go and visit the schools and ask a lot of questions about the support he would get, if I could do things over again I would be a lot more careful in my selection.
    Good luck!

Jane x

Reply Reply

Tags
    asperger's, aspergers, aspergers syndrome