It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Nebulizer, Yes or No

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
    Theasthmadad
    (male)

Theasthmadad HB User
    Nebulizer, Yes or No

Hi my son is 13. He has had asthma all his life. It has recently gotten worse. His peak flow is 290 and he takes advair, singular and weekly shots with steroids and albuterol PRN. He has a flare up every day and needs to go to the hospital every week. His O2 is usually at 90%. Our doctor recommended a nebulizer and oxygen. I never heard of a thirteen year old on oxygen 24/7. Is it necessary and should I have a nebulizer with mask or mouthpiece? Is it loud? Help!

Last edited by Theasthmadad; 03-27-2015 at 06:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
    EB003
    (female)

EB003 HB User
    Re: Nebulizer, Yes or No

My 2 year old daughter is on a daily medication for Reactive Airway Disease (she takes Budesonide). She uses a mask... But I would say he'd be ready for a mouth piece if he's a patient child. It usually takes about 10 minutes to do a .5 ML and 20 minutes of 3ML with a mask one....It's not too loud actually, it kind of sounds like a small, constant motor...It's worth investing into! It raises the oxygeon level by itself if they're giving you albuterol.

The Following User Says Thank You to EB003 For This Useful Post:
    Theasthmadad (03-28-2015)
    Old 03-27-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
    Theasthmadad
    (male)

Theasthmadad HB User

Thanks that really helps. I just feel so bad that he can barely breathe and his friends make fun at him for it. He's at the nurse most of the time. I just want him to be normal!

Old 04-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
    Kaji
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

I am a BIG fan of home nebulisers... they can help to keep your son from having to make so many emergency dashes to the ER. If he's able to physically hold a mouthpiece in his hand when he's having his attacks, then he doesn't need a pediatric mask. The motor is loudish but nothing earth-shaking. When I use mine my husband just turns the volume on the TV up to compensate... nebulised medication works far better than the standard 'puffer'. Daily nebulisers might help him had a better quality of life...

Old 04-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
    Theasthmadad
    (male)

Theasthmadad HB User

thank you so much for your reply! He actually had to go to the ICU recently, and was prescribed a nebulizer. He still uses it a lot, but it helps. I do feel bad for him sometimes, because he is usually sitting in the nurses office at school, but it is necessary since his peak flow is still hovering around 200 which is very bad. BTW he is on oxygen at night, and that helps him a lot. Thank you though for the thoughtful reply!

Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
    Capttom48
    (male)

Capttom48 HB UserCapttom48 HB UserCapttom48 HB User

When my asthma is bad, I find my nebulizer helps a lot.. It has saved me several trips to the ER. I'm glad that your son now has one and that it is helping him. Good luck.

Reply Reply

Tags
    asthma, nebulizer, oxygen