It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Trying to make sense of Asthma

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
    lekreck
    (female)

lekreck HB User
    Trying to make sense of Asthma

I was just diagnosed with Asthma a week ago. Started me on Symbicort 80/4.5 and I believe I may be having a bad reaction to it. I took it for from Monday to Thursday without a lot of issues but starting Thursday I started having what seemed like an allergic reaction. My throat felt like it was closing up but I finally figured out it was the top of my mouth tingling and feeling swollen. It was happening randomly during the day and then Friday night it happened right after the Symbicort treatment. I thought I was doing it the way they told me and was brushing my teeth within minutes of the treatment. I have not taken it Saturday at all, and the feeling my throat has not nearly been as bad, but isn't completely normal, just yet. My problem is I also am a sufferer of panic attacks and have had my first full on panic attack in quite awhile (I haven't gotten to the full blown attack in almost a year). Anyways, I also believe I suffer from some acid reflux, but no confirmed diagnosis. My primary has me taking Omeprazole 20 mg twice a day. I also have ADD and take 36mg Concerta daily. I'm wondering if since my allergies have been so bad this season and all of this asthma stuff just started, is it possible I tested positive for asthma (done at the allergist office by Spirometry) but maybe it's just acid reflux or allergies contributing and if I can get those under control I can likely test negative? All I know is that a week on Symbicort has shown me that I'm not a fan, but frequent albuterol cam also be bad as well. Thanks for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Trying to make sense of Asthma

How are you using it? Out from your mouth, activate, then inhale immediately? DO NOT put it in your mouth nor up to. Maybe you need to use a chamber until you get the sequence down right.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
    lekreck
    (female)

lekreck HB User

Thank you for your response. My doctor's office never said to hold it away from my mouth, I'm not even sure how that would work. I was instructed to take a deep breathe out, then as inhale put the inhaler to my mouth and breathe in, hold it for about 10 seconds and then breathe out through my nose. They told me brush my teeth immediately after or rinse and spit. Since I'm new to this I may sound silly but what is the point of the way the product delivery system is designed if you don't actually put it to your mouth? Thanks again

Old 05-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

To inhale it into your lungs and not have it land on your tongue or back of your mouth. It needs to be dispersed into the air when it gets to your mouth or else it won;t get to your lungs. Otherwise you are simply swallowing it - not inhaling it. Hold it an inch or two from your mouth, open wide and inhale immediately after you actuate it. You may need to use a chamber - get them at the drug store - to learn better.

If you can't feel it in your lungs as you inhale it, you aren't doing it correctly. It's kind of a shotgun effect if you are familiar with the pattern from a shotgun. The pellets come out close together from the end of the gun and then spread out after a short distance. It is the same with the inhaler. And it's the spray that has the best effect not the close together one which is what it appears is happening to you. The med is still in that close pattern so it dies on the back of your tongue/mouth because it's too close. It doesn't have a chance to spread out so you can inhale it.

Last edited by Titchou; 05-16-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #5
    ProbCVA
    (female)

ProbCVA HB UserProbCVA HB User

I use symbicort and it is a turbuhaler. You have to close you mouth around it and inhale to deliver the dose. Titchou, the method you are suggesting won't work with the turbuhaler. I use the same method lekreck was instructed to use, which is the proper way to use a turbuhaler.

The Following User Says Thank You to ProbCVA For This Useful Post:
    lekreck (05-19-2015)
    Old 05-19-2015, 05:18 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It comes in both styles so am not sure which one the OP is using -

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    lekreck (05-19-2015)
    Old 05-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
    lekreck
    (female)

lekreck HB User

I was using the turboinhaler. I went back to the doctor yesterday and he has switched me to Qvar, hoping that be all I need. The albuterol has kicked up my physical anxiety and we are trying to remove what we can. Also changed my rescue inhaler to xonponex. So far, I am starting to have the throat irritation again some, and I have been rinsing after using any of it. I'm not sure if it is a mental reaction or just a side effect I have to live with? Feeling like your throat is closing up is simply too much for me to deal with, I'm not sure what to do at this point

Old 05-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
    lekreck
    (female)

lekreck HB User

so I've decided I'm going to use my son's spacer for the Qvar to see if the irritation in my throat decreases. Also, would you recommend buying a peak flow meter? I'm wondering if today's throat irritation was from using my rescue once, the xopenex...

Old 05-19-2015, 04:28 PM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, the chamber should help. Then you can learn how to properly use the inhaler...and it should be out in front of your mouth - not in it nor touching it when you use it without a chamber. And use the chamber with the rescue inhaler as well. Sounds like you are dumping the med on the back of your throat instead of inhaling it. So try gargling not just brushing...

Last edited by Titchou; 05-19-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Reply Reply