It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• New to Asthma / Calcort (Deflazacort) Advice

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
    stargrave
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User
    New to Asthma / Calcort (Deflazacort) Advice

Hello.

My story: All my life I've had permanent respiratory issues. Mainly rhinitis, which end up giving me 1-2 moderate to strong upper respiratory infections, both viral and bacterial.

After several attempts(In the Social Security in Mexico), last year I've managed to see an allergies expert. He sent me some sensitivity tests(those needle stuff), which came back "inconclusive". Yet all my symptoms indicated an allergic issue, and a probable "Intermittent Asthma".

He decided to put me on Symbicort, 2 inhalation a day. And this seemed to do the trick, combined with a "test treatment" with the suspected allergens' vaccine.
    Thing is that, after another bacterial infection I've had three Asthma bouts, which forced me to use my rescue inhaler Combivent. And the first two I was prescribed a short course of prednisone 50 mg for 7 days.

This destroyed my stomach, amongst other nasty side effects, and raised my GERD symptoms, which now, apparently, are one of the "hidden" causes for my Asthma bouts. Which I have to confess I can't really identify with 100% certainty.

My current symptoms(on my new bout) Some pain and discomfort win my chest and my back, some times while inhaling or sometimes while sitting down. And a mild, occasional lack of air, which may or may not come with physical activity. Sometimes I feel worst while sitting down.

This came in tandem with an increased acid reflux, which is going to be evaluated by a Gastro next week, but today, here is my question: ¿Can anyone relate this symptoms with Asthma? I barely cough, never have wheeze, and for some moments of the day I feel practically fine.

And the second one is about what the Allergies doc prescribed me:

7 days of Calcort 30 mg a day (without tapering)
    A month of Monelukast 10 mg. 1 month
    Four shots 2-2 each day of Pulmicort 1 month
    Four shots 2-2 each day of Symbicort 1 month.

I don't now if he didn't listen to me when I told him about my stomach issues with prednisone, It's my first time with Deflazacort and I'm a little nervous about its side effects and my dose without taper. I don't know if anyone has any experience with this drug.

I'm ok with the shots and the Montelukast, I've taken those before without any issues.

Thank you very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
    sue430
    (female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User
    Re: New to Asthma / Calcort (Deflazacort) Advice

I don't have any experience with that particular oral steroid, but it is really important not to take steroids on an empty stomach if you want to avoid stomach problems. When I am taking prednisone, I am super careful about my diet also, try to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, drink lots of water and decrease carbs and sweets. I try to eat things with potassium like avocados, bananas, etc. I have found this really helps me with the side effects.

The Following User Says Thank You to sue430 For This Useful Post:
    stargrave (05-21-2015)
    Old 05-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
    stargrave
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User
    Re: New to Asthma / Calcort (Deflazacort) Advice

Thank you Sue, I'm going to do as you said to try to avoid side effects.

I'm not really friend with the steroids, and never before I've taken so much of them... I don't really know how this Asthma started in the first place.

Since I don't have any tapering indication, just 30 mg for 7 days and stop. Do you think I should I taper the dose? I've read that in a short course is not necessary but I don't know...

My doctor is not a friendly one, and because of the Social Security nature, only if you're like really dying they take notice of you, otherwise they barely talk to you, so that's why

Thanks again for your input!

Reply Reply