It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Not sure if I really have asthma (Was Diagnosed)

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-30-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
    jak962
    (female)

jak962 HB User
    Not sure if I really have asthma (Was Diagnosed)

Hi guys, I am really confused if I really have asthma or not.

I was diagnosed with Asthma on January 15th 2016. How I came to be diagnosed was complaining about my breathing to my doctor. Sometimes I wake up wheezing when exhaling, feeling that I have to give additional effort to breath and sometimes have a weird delayed breath. Where I breathe in, and feel a delayed filling of my lungs. I explained all of this and was asked when I go for a jog do I run out of breathe quickly and start coughing. I told him yes. He said “This is your classic case of Asthma”. I was prescribed Ventolin and tried a dose when I got home.

Within 10 minutes I was breathing easier than I could ever remember breathing. After 3 ˝ hours, I started to feel the harder to breath feeling. I also started coughing. So I took another dose of the Ventolin and within 10 minutes I felt amazing again. Same issue occurred after 3 ˝ hours, so I took another dose. In the middle of the night a good 3 to 4 hours after my last dose, I woke up with the harder breathing and coughing. I tried to not take another dose for 20 or so minutes and eventually gave in and took a dose.

The following morning I decided to go to an Urgent Care to seek help about the constant need to use my Ventolin. I was prescribed Symbicort and Prednisone (Only if the Symbicort wasn’t working). I started taking the Symbicort that night. I decided to do a jog that night and took a dose of Ventolin 20 minutes prior to my jog. It was the first time in my life I was able to jog without running out of breath in a few minutes. It was a great workout.

I noticed after a week I started needing my Ventolin less and less to the point where I could go over 24 hours without needing it. However, I notice that I still cough when laughing. Running out of breath when walking up stairs and hills.

I can’t help but feel that I don’t really have asthma. I am not sure if it is denial or not. My Mother and my Aunt (her sister) have been diagnosed with Asthma. I know it can run in the family. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Not sure if I really have asthma (Was Diagnosed)

Classic case of asthma. The problem is that your doctor hasn't really explained it to you. So here's the deal. The symbicort is a daily med. You will use it - or some other daily med as there are many - for the rest of your life. It should keep you from having attacks frequently (like the breathing problem you had when waking). Your goal should be to get down to as few puffs a day as possible. I have gotten from 4 puffs a day to one with mine. Next, the Ventolin is a rescue inhaler. It should be used when you have an attack AND prophylactically BEFORE cardio. The normal regimen is 2 puffs, 60 seconds apart, 15 minutes before cardio. I have to do this before jogging. I can manage it without it before dancing. Your next step should be to see a pulmonologist as that's who you should be seeing for asthma, not your GP. Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
    jak962
    (female)

jak962 HB User

I will try to go to a Pulmonologist. I just feel blah about the whole thing. I guess I never knew how bad it was until I started taking the Ventolin?

I just want to be normal.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I've had asthma for about 20 years and feel normal 99.9% of the time because I am compliant about properly using my meds. It will make a lot of difference. I've probably used my rescue inhaler- outside of pre medicating before cardio - perhaps 5 times in 20 years! That's pretty darned good for someone who has bad allergies and lives in one of the allergy capitals in the US....

Reply Reply

Tags
    asthma, misdiagnosed, unsure