It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Asthma Newbie

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-31-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
    mk81
    (female)

mk81 HB User
    Asthma Newbie

Hey y'all, I have some questions that I hope maybe someone can answer. So, about 3 weeks ago, I came down with the flu, and I immediately started on Tamiflu. The flu was gone within a week. However, ever since then, I seem to have daily asthma symptoms. One week ago, I found myself in the ER for a cough and chest tightness that I could not control with my inhaler. This past Monday (27 March), I followed up with my pulmonary doctor from my ER visit. He told me to continue taking my Breo (100mcg/25mg), and started me on Spiriva (1.25mcg) to take also. He also gave me albuterol for my nebulizer, and told me to do at least one breathing treatment in the morning, and one at night. He heard some wheezing in there, which came as a surprise to me, because I have never had wheezing before. He felt there might also be some bronchitis going on. Since Monday, I wake up with a wheezy cough and tightness in my chest. The breathing treatments help, but I have had to give myself one every 4-6 hours just about everyday this week, all week long. I also just finished up Levaquin that my pulmonary doctor prescribed, just in case there was an infection. I guess my question is, has anyone else had problems with their asthma being worse after the flu/bronchitis? I have tried to call my doctor's office multiple times this week, but I have not heard back from them (yes, I am annoyed by that). Any suggestions on what I should do? If the breathing treatments are working for 4-6 hours, should I just continue them? Should I try to get seen again, or go back to the ER even though I am not in a severe attack. Thanks in advance for any advice, or responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Asthma Newbie

Sounds normal. I just got over a case of bronchitis brought on by an asthma attack. The cough kept on forever. How long did he prescribe the nebulizer for? I'd say since Monday isn't long enough to get things under control.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:19 PM   #3
    mk81
    (female)

mk81 HB User

I just heard back from my pulmonary doctor this afternoon. He told me to continue doing the breathing treatments, as needed. He also started me on another Medrol pack. Additionally, I will be back to see him this week for another chest x-ray, and some labs. I am still having a rough time trying to get my asthma back under control. I have times where I feel good, and then it seems like as soon as the 4th, or 6th hour approaches, I start to feel bad again. I am worse in the mornings and evenings compared to the afternoons. So, is it normal to do breathing treatments for this long? How long can it take to recover from an asthma episode that comes and goes all week long? I am worn out from the coughing, chest tightness, and I can feel the wheezing like deep down in my lungs. Ugh, this is the pits!

Old 04-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It can drag out, that's for sure. My main asthma symptom is a cough and it went on for a month one time before I was totally over it. Do you have a codeine cough syrup? That might help too.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
    mk81
    (female)

mk81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    It can drag out, that's for sure. My main asthma symptom is a cough and it went on for a month one time before I was totally over it. Do you have a codeine cough syrup? That might help too.
    I do not have any cough syrup...unfortunately. It is so hard to tell for me if I need to use my inhaler for when I am coughing here and there, or do I use it when I have continuous coughing? I feel better this morning, but still have mild symptoms

Old 04-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I never use it for just coughing here and there. But it sounds like you are getting better today. I'd grab a bottle of Delsym 12 Hour for adults and see it that helps as well...particularly at bedtime

Reply Reply

Tags
    asthma, bronchitis, flu