It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Asthma flare-up in brand new home

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
clarahen

clarahen HB User
Asthma flare-up in brand new home

Hi all,

We recently moved into a completely gut-renovated home, and from the second day, my asthmatic daughter has had a persistent asthma cough (going on three weeks). Has anyone had experience with this type of thing? I'm thinking it could be anything from lingering construction dust, to off-gassing from the floor varnish or any of the other materials (paint, etc.)

Is it worth it to do an air quality test? Or should we just open windows as much as possible and hope that things clear up? I am pregnant and due in two months so I am also very concerned that the new baby will develop asthma. Everything I've read has basically said to avoid using materials that can emit VOCs or formaldehyde but at this point we're kind of past that...

Any advice or experience would be helpful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Asthma flare-up in brand new home

You don't say where you live but if you can turn the A/C on, that would be better than air as there is pollen out now. Didn't you use low VOC paint since you are pregnant?

Old 04-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #3
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I've got both allergic and non-allergic asthma. It took me years of learning and experimenting to get my home asthma-free. Over time, we got rid of some cabinets, rugs, electronics, furniture, etc. We have not been able to find one paint that we could use inside our home.

Best of luck! I hope that you will be able to make your gut-renovated home asthma-free!
⇒ In 2002 BP was 151/96; readings:1,423
⇒ In 2008-2017 BP was 119/69; readings:7,514

Old 05-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

Air purifiers.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:54 AM   #5
BeeC23
(female)

BeeC23 HB User

Do you have an air filter or something you could put in her room? I have one on in my room 24/7 and my asthma symptoms have gone down quite a bit. I find that cooler air makes it easier to breathe.

Reply Reply

Tags
children