It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

I'm injured from last night

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User
I'm injured from last night

Everything was going well until I left my room to brush my teeth last night and the house was so full of perfume I had to put the air cleaner in the bathroom and use the rescue inhaler.

I woke up 4 hrs later and the house is full of incense, they keep all the doors and windows closed they think they'll be robbed. I put the air cleaner back in the bathroom which is in the main house and I open the doors and I went outside the air cleared up fast.

Then they close all the doors and burn incense all night. I had to use the rescue inhaler again and I was wheezing really hard and coughing.

Now my lungs are still wheezing and i lost my voice from coughing so much. Is there anything I should do about this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Harri3t
Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
Re: I'm injured from last night

Who burns the incense? Someone in your family or a roommate? Can you speak to them? Are you allowed to open a window in your room? If they don't understand and won't stop you'll probably have to move.

Short of that, I thought I saw in a previous post that you weren't using your maintenance inhaler as Rx'd. If you're still using it, make sure to take it as ordered which as I recall was twice a day. It takes a few days of regular use to get the full effects but it should help make you less dependent on the rescue inhaler though your best defense will still be avoiding triggers.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

No probably the last 6 weeks I've been taking it. Hence the huge round stomach, constant hunger, fungal infection.

My landlord is burning incense the last few weeks. No one speaks English here.

Asthma drs not in the office, primary care not answering. I dont have a window in my room, my room is at the end of the house so I'm not too affected. Last night I needed to use inhaler and brush my teeth and the bathroom was full of smoke. I got up to go to the bathroom, still burning incense and another bad attack.

The nurse suggested going to the hospital and getting O2 levels measured. I'd feel stupid doing that.

I'll guess I'll keep using rescue. I happen to have drs appt tomorrow so I'll hold on.

Didn't know if there's something that just makes your lungs feel better.

Last edited by Hannah1492; 07-11-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
Harri3t
Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

Hi Hannah- Other than the possibility of oral fungal infections which can usually be prevented by rinsing after inhaler use, the steroid dose in inhalers is so small the side effects seen in large oral or IV doses generally don't occur. That is the one big advantage of inhaled steroids as much smaller amounts can be given with many less side effects. I've been on inhaled steroids for several years and have never experienced bloating, increased appetite or even the moon face that's typically associated with long term large dose oral steroid use that I could blame on my inhaler. The few times I've needed larger doses of oral steroids have sometimes stimulated my appetite but that was for the short times I was on an oral dose of 60 mg/day. It would take 4 months to inhale a single 60 mg dose of steroids using my inhaler 2 times a day.

That said, I'm glad you'll be seeing the doctor tomorrow. If you're using your rescue inhaler more than a few times a week, one thing you might want to discuss with him/her is a combination drug maintenance inhaler- one that combines a steroid with a long acting bronchodilator.

Another thing that may or may not work for you is using a hepa filter mask as needed which can filter out small particles of dust and soot. If it's smells that is the problem that probably isn't going to work but if you try it make sure to get one that is fit to you as a precise fit is needed to be effective That's something you might also want to bring up with your doctor to see what they think.

Lastly, short of moving, I would seriously look for a translator who can hekp you speak with your landlord. Sometimes just a little communication can do the trick.

Wishing you all the best. Hope you find some relief soon.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

thanks Harri3t
I gained 10lbs in the first 2 weeks when I started inhalers. I talked to my landlord but she doesn't understand. Her son was in a car accident and tore up his knee that is why she's burning incense all night. Offering to the budda-lady.
He had drs visit this afternoon, now more incense so I can't go thru his whole rehab breathing smoke.

Unfortunately smell is big part of it. I usually don't use rescue at all. The things that bother are smells, smoke, herbicide/pesticide I'm allergic to. Its a restricted use so I shouldn't encounter it much in this state but Vietnamese seem to use it like water. They cover the whole yard in stead of pulling weeds. Then I'm wheezing for days walking to my car and back.

Perfume is what I usually encounter but I move out of the scent circumference.

I find myself holding my breath a lot.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

I woke up a bunch of times last night, when I got up this morning I was wheezing really hard. Used both inhalers and stopped wheezing for 2 hours but now its back.

Does this mean my lungs are damaged? The candida came back, my immune system is almost but not quite beating it.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Are you taking an antihistamine? I'd add Zyrtec and see if if helps.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

I take QVAR, sinulair, zyrtec. I'm have prescriptions for flonase and allergy eye drops but never use them.

I've had masses of allergy tests the only thing that ever came up was the pesticide that was used at my job that was illegal in this state. I never had to take to anything for allergies until 2014 when they said consumers could use small amounts in their gardens as an herbicide. Now the California EPA is getting reports of allergies to it.

I slept nearly all day, I bought a high quality air purifier that is awesome! I'm thinking just staying in my room next to the air purifier for the rest of my life.

The asthma dr said I'm not allergic to perfume but it bothers me so much, I'm not sure if that's true. I've been buying shoes from Big 5 for 30 years and I couldn't stand to be in the store because the rubber smelled so strong. I can hardly stand to be anywhere.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:33 AM   #9
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

He's right. There are allergies and then there are sensitivities. Oddly sometimes antihistamines help sensitivities. I don't know if you are in the US but I would caution you that bedrooms,according to most fire codes, must have egress other than the door to the interior of the house....in other words, an exterior wall window or door. Your landlord could be violating that. You might check with your local fire department.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

thanks titchou.

As soon as I leave my room I'm still wheezing and coughing.

I live in lowcost housing built for Vietnamese refugees. Its confusing since the war ended in the 70s. It happens to be a few miles from 2 colleges. I moved here because I needed to be close to school because of a torn up foot.

I may be different from asthma. I was exposed to so many chemicals that my lungs became very irritated and full of inflammation. I was told if they can get rid of the inflammation the asthma may go too but it seems nearly impossible with this culture being what it is.

I'm very tired, my dr called in a prescription for oral prednisone. Ugh more drugs when what I need is fresh air.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #11
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

Ah ha they sprayed the herbicide again, that's why I'm still wheezing. Spent most of another day sleeping.

Friends found several places to look at. All Vietnamese landlords. I don't want to live with anymore vietnamese. They've fd up my life enough. That's going in my asthma action plan.

Reply Reply