It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Help! Still struggling with this asthma attack

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2017, 10:01 PM   #1
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User
Help! Still struggling with this asthma attack

5 days ago I was exposed to about 18 hours of incense in a closed up house. I reacted with coughing.

I thought the coughing and tightness in my lungs would be gone like the way it is with a whiff of perfume. It is unrelenting and perhaps getting worse. I sleep next to an air purifier, today I woke up with tightness in my lungs and then raspy coughing like a heavy smoker I started using the rescue inhaler every 6 hours 2 puffs. I spent most of the week sleeping.

I'm sure the asthma center would have a dr on call or I could go to an urgent care. If I can get prednisone is that better than the inhaler? Would that stuff you take to get rid of mucous with a cold, pseudoephdra or steaming my sinuses or anything help this situation? Is there any chance I could have bronchitis?

Before asthma diagnosis I had nonstop coughing, but of course never took the cough medicine they prescribed. Its Benzonatate or good old NyQuil work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2017, 06:07 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Help! Still struggling with this asthma attack

Since even a low dose of pred will have me up all night, that's the last thing I'd take. If you have a scrip for codeine cough syrup, I'd do that and mucinex.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

Thanks titchou, will give that a try.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #4
HouseRed
(male)

HouseRed HB User

One minor comment on Mucinex. Make sure your blood pressure is in check. I've read it may raise it!!!

Hope you find a solution to this problem. I myself am dealing with some asthma issues and it's a pain!!

Old 07-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

It seems like nothing really matters anymore. The medications aren't working. Usually I go to the dentist they say there's nothing to clean. I keep noticing that the Qvar seems to make plaque on my teeth. Since I've been using the rescue inhaler my gums are bleeding.

Every time I walk out of my bedroom I start wheezing. I could leave the house all day then I have to fight the perfume people. If I try to stay outside I'm dealing with the homeless smokers.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
HouseRed
(male)

HouseRed HB User

I myself am dealing with some annoying asthma symptoms that I'm trying to get under control. Tomorrow I will have been on singulair for about a week and I've noticed some improvement. Not sure if this would be the right medication for you, but as I'm sure you have seen there are a number of medication out there all with pro/cons for conditions.its a trial and error thing!

Also, something I've started (which I hope it helps) is an anti inflamatory diet (google it!!). Asthma is an inflammatory desease so I figure this could only help! This is frustrating and I'm willing to try different avenues to get my lungs back on track!

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #7
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

Hey HouseRed I have been taking Singulair too. I read when you mix it will zyrtec its a potent asthma fighter. My dr prescribed them together. It seems to almost do the job for me.

Some friends told me about the anti-inflammatory diet, they just said no grains, dairy, or legumes. Well I'm starting with grains first. I'll google it and try get the whole idea. Thanks for mentioning it.

I'm finally feeling more energetic and not wheezy. I just bought fragrance free laundry detergent. It was great to not have to deal with the clean clothes smell (I used to love).

Best wishes!

Reply Reply