It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

how important is the right medication?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2017, 12:56 AM   #1
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User
how important is the right medication?

The asthma meds the asthma dr put me on made me nauseous. My regular dr put on a steroid inhaler. When I saw the asthma dr she said it wasnt the right type for me I needed a long lasting type. She gave me a sample and treatment for the candida which she said the steroid inhaler can cause. I loved the sample! The candida cleared up and the multiple chemical sensivity became less sensitive. All wins!!!!

Until my dr called in a prescription and the insurance refuses to pay because I still have a 2 month supply of the steroid. So I go back on steroid, candida came back, otherwise still feeling better.

Do I have any recourse with this? Or should I just go with the wrong medicine for a couple of months?

The following user gives a hug of support to Hannah1492:
YaYagirl (08-14-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2017, 04:07 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: how important is the right medication?

Check around for a coupon from the mfg. There are many options out there. And also talk with your doc about appealing to the insurance company and any samples he may have.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
YaYagirl (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear Hannah,

What a bother that is! and expensive!
It seems to me that the company just needs official documentation that the change is necessary. I would always take a stand, but I think your doctor has to argue your case. Can you can use the Candida med while using the original inhaler? Personally I would not want to risk getting a yeast infection again. I think the insurance company is at least responsible to cover the cost of the yeast medication. I would take a stand on that.

I can see why the insurance resists paying again, though it isn't your fault that you had the reactions. Your doctor should be able to phone or send a fax regarding the reaction you got to the original med and request that your case be reviewed by a supervisor and that the new med be covered. I think the rejection is normal and automatic, but that a company cannot refuse a replacement prescription when your body cannot take the original prescription. It's too bad that the original unopened med cannot be taken back, but that's understandable.

For future reference, anyone can request a partial supply of a prescription at a time in order to try a med. Recently I was given a one year prescription for once a week injectable vitamin B12, and I purchase only two weeks' worth of the med at a time in order to try it out (I had never used self-injectable medication before) and also to spread out the cost.

Let us know what happens.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

Thanks for the replies Titchou and YaYagirl

I found a manufacturer coupon for a free 30 day supply and going to the dr today. Hopefully will work be able to work this out soon!

Thanks so much for the advice!

The following user gives a hug of support to Hannah1492:
YaYagirl (08-15-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Awesome, Hannah!
Good job finding that coupon!!

and you are very welcome. Hope it helped some.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
sue430
(female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User

Be sure to rinse your mouth very thoroughly after using any steriod inhaler, that will help you avoid thrush.

Reply Reply