It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

cord around neck, possible cause of asthma?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
KYasthmaMomma
(female)

KYasthmaMomma HB User
cord around neck, possible cause of asthma?

Hello! This is my first time ever posting to a forum so please be patient with me My son will be 2 in December and has been diagnosed with Reactive Airway Disease (only because dr's say it can't be called asthma until they're older). He has been showing signs of it since a little before he turned 6 months old but was not diagnosed until he was 14 months old (the doctor says she missed it because of all the sickness he had from 9 - 14 months). He has a history of RSV (twice), viral pneumonia, bacterial pneumonia, and croup (twice) but none of that happened until 9 months old and after. He was born at 39 weeks but I went into pre-term labor at 30 weeks. Because of the preterm labor I was given the shots to increase his lung development around 33/34 weeks but he held out until 39 weeks. During labor my blood pressure dropped and his heart rate dropped, the doctor advised that we do a csection before it turned into an emergency situation so we did. Once he was born she said it was a very good thing that we did the csection because the cord was around his neck and it would have been very bad had we tried to proceed with a vaginal delivery. He had no complications in the hospital and never had to be on O2 or anything. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with the cord around their child's neck and asthma?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: cord around neck, possible cause of asthma?

Certain strains of pneumonia can cause asthma. That happened to me so perhaps that or one of his other infections could have caused the damage.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:05 AM   #3
KYasthmaMomma
(female)

KYasthmaMomma HB User

He had all of his asthma symptoms 3 months before he ever got sick with anything. I have no doubts that the pneumonia and all of his other infections have made things worse for him because it's gotten a little worse every time after he's been sick. I've talked to a couple different people who have children with asthma and the only thing our kids have in common is they were born with the cord around their neck. Just wondering if it's something other people have experienced as well.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #4
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3428673/

BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2012; 12(Suppl 1): A6.
Published online 2012 Aug 28. doi: 10.1186/1471-2393-12-S1-A6
PMCID: PMC3428673
Cord around the neck syndrome
Morarji Peesaycorresponding author1
Author information ► Article notes ► Copyright and License information ►

I found this study on the National Institutes of Health website. It says 37% of children are born with the cord around the neck, there are infrequent issues but asthma wasn't listed.

I hate to think of a little guy going through so much and pray he has a wonderful life in spite of it all.

Last edited by Hannah1492; 09-12-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:25 AM   #5
KYasthmaMomma
(female)

KYasthmaMomma HB User

Thank you!

Reply Reply