It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

I think we should organize!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User
I think we should organize!

I'm reading 31% of North Americans are affected by fragrance. That's a lot of people. Fragrance is a common trigger for asthma and asthma is a major cause of missed days of work, school and hospitalizations.

In the first 6 months of 2017 lobbiest from the fragrance industry have reported that they donated $210,000 to political campaigns.

The industry doesn't even have to list the ingredients on their products.

What do the asthma foundations actually do?

Doesn't it seem obvious that public restrooms shouldn't use fragranced products? We have a hepatitis A epidemic in San Diego they think its because of poor hygeine. Proper ventilation, air purification. I carry hand santizer because I want out of there as fast as possible. Hospitals and medical workers. The day I went to the hospital for a bad asthma attack the restroom was full of air freshner I could smell it in the lobby and the check in person had so much perfume on I had to wait outside.

Schools, school teachers, public libraries - no fragrance.

I'm not a proponent of higher taxes but in this case I believe fragrance should be taxed like cigarettes, its a public health hazard.

Does anyone else think this way?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2017, 06:26 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: I think we should organize!

While as an asthmatic I certainly agree that fragrances can cause issues. But so can flowers, freshly mowed grasses, and many other things. So banning all the things that can bother asthmatics is really next to impossible. I'm sensitive to quite a few aromas so I make sure I have my nasal steroid inhaler with me. Have you tried QNasl? Once I realize a fragrance or odor is going to affect me, I whip it out.Much better than a spray for me.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

I do my best to avoid the fragrance abusers. I don't think we should have to use drugs because others don't moderate their usage of fragrance. My avoidance is because the dr says the MCS can go away if I'm not around it.

I was very impressed when a lady in my class told us the first day she is sensitive to fragrance. It started a conversation and it turned out to bother more than one person in a class of 6 people.

I'm lucky that my only triggers are artificial fragrances and smoke. The people in my life have been happy to not expose me to that stuff.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'd rather go where I want and do what I want-even if I have to medicate. I love to dance but have to premedicate with albuterol beforehand. I'm not going to stop dancing because of my asthma!

Old 09-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

Can't you do both?

Old 09-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

I do but you indicated you'd rather not medicate...I don't have a problem with it. Like I don't want to get rid of my cat so I take allergy shots. I don't want to not go places I want to go so I bring my meds. Not a problem for me but I certainly acknowledge and accept that you and perhaps others would rather not.

Reply Reply