It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Trying To Pinpoint Asthma Triggers

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
LSpencer702
(female)

LSpencer702 HB User
Question Trying To Pinpoint Asthma Triggers

Hi, I'm a 21 year old female who has had lifelong asthma. It was probably at it's worst when I was around 10 years old but eventually stabilized itself until it was mild intermittent, and easy to deal with, and it was like that for about 10 years. I have been on Advair twice when I was younger at my doctor's discretion but haven't been on it for about 3 years. I never really felt that I absolutely needed it, but when I did use it, it definitely did make a big difference. I would go weeks without using my inhaler.

I was fine for quite a while, but during the past year, my asthma has gotten worse. I have been on prednisone bursts probably 4 or 5 times in the year, and been in the ER about 3 or 4 times for nebulizer treatments. (I'm having a hard time remembering.) For the past 3 weeks I have been steadily using my ProAir inhaler about every 5-6 hours, sometimes on good days I can go a little longer without using it. I know that it isn't good to use the ProAir so often, but it helps every time I use it, so I use it. My pulmonologist has prescribed Advair and I really don't want to take it again. When I go to see my pulmo, he barely will talk to me about my possible triggers/causes of asthma, and it feels like he really just plops me on a controller medication and rushes me out of the office. I am very determined to just figure out what the cause of my asthma is and treat it, as opposed to masking the inflammation with a medicine I might be able to avoid. I also hate the warnings regarding the salmeterol in Advair. I know that when combined with the corticosteroid, it is safe, but I really would hate to put myself on that regardless. It's scary.

As far as triggers, I think I may have a lot, either that or there is just one big one that I need to identify. I know for sure that dust and mold affects my asthma, but those are easy enough to avoid and I know for the most part that if I go into a dirty room, or a room that's just been vacuumed, I'll probably have an attack that will affect my lungs for a little while. Simple enough. I feel like this is most likely the case with most people with any kind of asthma who are exposed to a lot of dust at once.

We also have a cat, but I have been around cats for several years without problems, and I never get itchy or anything when I pet them. Dogs, on the other hand, give me problems, I think. But I am really never around any dogs.

The big factor, and the thing I have been questioning after a lot of research, is food intolerance. I already have a history of food allergies; I am severely allergic to nuts and fish. But maybe I have more food allergies/sensitivities/intolerances that cause the inflammation in my lungs...? I LIVE on pizza and pasta, so maybe the constant gluten is affecting me? I just recently started doing research on food's effects on inflammation and asthma. I eat very large amounts of gluten everyday, along with dairy, which is also in the pizza and pasta that I eat. I am thinking of switching to a Paleo, gluten free diet. It's hard to do when you are allergic to nuts and fish which are big Paleo factors. I would be living on meats and veggies and fruits, which wouldn't be so bad I guess. Just trying to work through this. Any thoughts? I am still doing a lot of research on what could be causing my persistent asthma, but I eat so much gluten and dairy in a given day that I really think that might be the case. I'd love to hear others' stories regarding their asthma and if it's ever been linked to food.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Trying To Pinpoint Asthma Triggers

Asthma is permanent damage to the lungs. Attacks can have many triggers. Salmeterol is the same thing that's in your ProAir rescue inhaler so that whole issue is irrelevant.

If you haven't done allergy testing -skin scratch testing NOT just bloodtesting-then you need to do that for food and environmental. Do whatever it takes to get the allergies under control - meds or injections - and then see where you are.

There are also other asthma meds that are single med ones like Flovent. You might ask your pulmo to try that instead of the combo Advair.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
LSpencer702
(female)

LSpencer702 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Asthma is permanent damage to the lungs. Attacks can have many triggers. Salmeterol is the same thing that's in your ProAir rescue inhaler so that whole issue is irrelevant.

If you haven't done allergy testing -skin scratch testing NOT just bloodtesting-then you need to do that for food and environmental. Do whatever it takes to get the allergies under control - meds or injections - and then see where you are.

There are also other asthma meds that are single med ones like Flovent. You might ask your pulmo to try that instead of the combo Advair.

Thanks so much for the response. I asked my doctor about Flovent and he said he wouldn't prescribe it; he would much rather have me on Advair. I have bloodwork allergy testing scheduled for tomorrow, and I will look into skin scratch testing as well, thank you for recommending that.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:27 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The bloodwork testing is not as accurate.That's why I suggested the skin scratch test. You doctor evidently feels that you need the dual med. Since you are using the rescue inhaler so frequently, that could be what you need. I'd go on and use it as you need to be on a preventer to get this under control.

Reply Reply

Tags
allergies, asthma, food, inflammation, intolerance