It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Is it just another thing we quietly suffer thru?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User
Is it just another thing we quietly suffer thru?

Sorry I worked as a process development chemist for 20 years and when I see problems I want to understand them and I'd like to improve the situation.

So since I was prescribed zinc 19 years I've only had very mild colds that last 3 days. I'm on day 3 of this one and have spend 2 days in bed. What gives? Is it asthma, the steroids or what?

I'm in my last class to become a clinical scientist and I'm wondering if working in a hospital is a poor career choice for an asthmatic? My immune system appears to be overwhelmed by a simple cold.

Is there something I'm missing would pseudoephdra help? The saline nose rinses seem to be the only that brings relief. Is it ok to use steam or will it affect the lungs badly? I'm contemplating not using the inhaler a few days. i'll have to drop the next quiz for lack of being healthy enough to study.

I'm very, very frustrated and feel I just don't have time for this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User
Re: Is it just another thing we quietly suffer thru?

Skipped my last 2 inhaler doses. Amazing what white blood cells can do when you don't poison them with steroids. No mucus, cough, sneezing, brain fog. It seems to me that its beneficial to limit the mucus produced if your lungs are already inflamed. I know and understand very little of this disease.

I like not having to reinvent the wheel and simply learn from others experiences. I haven't found that source of experience yet. I guess its all going to be a big experiment to find out what works for me.

Last edited by Hannah1492; 09-16-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:08 AM   #3
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

So after skipping inhaler I seemed to be getting better but then 2 days in a row there's small kitchen fires and of course no one opens a door or window in this house they just go to bed. I wake up to the smell of smoke.

I used the rescue inhaler everyday but I can't stop wheezing and there's no one that can tell me what to do. Maybe that's normal after a cold.

Now I'm crying for half an hour just making more mucus to go down into my lungs. Trying to stay up all night and at least pass one of my tests.

I guess the perfume, the cold and the smoke have been a little too much for me to handle.

Sorry for venting like this.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your asthma. You said you have wheezing. Does that mean difficulty in breathing? How often do you have these attacks? Have you had this, on and off, for a number of years now?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that asthma is caused by inflammation. And inflammation can cause problems anywhere in the body, but it depends on where you have a predisposition.

The question is: What is the cause? It can be one thing alone or a combination of things. Here are some likely causes: 1) stress 2) inflammatory diet 3) allergy

Being under stress and eating a poor diet seems the most likely cause to me.

When I had my first asthma attack at 9 years old, it was so bad I thought I was going to die. My parents brought me to a doctor and he gave me a shot of something and it worked. Within a minute or two I was breathing normally.

What was it? I'm not sure but I think it might have been anti-inflammatory medication. Anyway, I had one attack every springtime for the next 4 or 5 years and that was it. My lifestyle changed, I had less stress and was eating a better diet. So they said I outgrew it.

Anyway, I think the root cause is inflammation. I don't know if you have ever heard of this but there is such a thing as an "Anti-inflammation Diet". You might want to do some research on this and also reduce your stress.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-18-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The injection you received would have been epinephrine -the med in an epipen. Standard treatment for an asthma attack/anaphalaxis. I had one in my teens due to a shot of penicillin.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
sue430
(female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User

Hannah, skipping your inhaler when you are wheezing all of the time and have a cold isn't the best idea for the lungs. Also if you are using your rescue inhaler every day, you should probably check in with your dr. In the meantime, please go back on your inhaler unless your dr has told you to stop!

Old 09-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

Thanks John! and Sue,
Hi Titchou

I was diagnosed in April. I have an injured foot so I rented a room in a guys house very close to my school because driving is hard for me. The guy had tons of febreeze plugins inside and out put perfume down the drains and in trash cans and he painted daily and used adhesives. I felt fine at first and then had weird symptoms like dry heaves, dizziness, coughing finally dr said I had multiple chemical sensitivity and asthma. I don't have any allergies. My lungs were crumpled and super inflammed. She believed if I could get away from stuff in the air I would still have asthma but wouldn't need the inhaler.

I always thought I had a really strong immune system. I don't remember ever being this sick from a cold. The dr has me still on advair twice a day and added qvar 4 puffs a day and I take sinulair and zyrtec and I wheeze all the time and I have big black circles under my eyes and I'm exhausted. I haven't gone to school all week, its just been beyond me.

I have go to school tomorrow even if I have to drink 20 coffees to pull it off.

the dr said its normal and I have to try not to get sick. She says i'll be ok in 10 days.

thanks a lot for your advice!

Reply Reply