It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

My prescription expired and I can't get my meds

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User
My prescription expired and I can't get my meds

The pharmacy told me last Thursday they left a message with my dr to renew my prescriptions. I called the dr right away as I only had enough medication through Friday. The receptionist took my number and said there's no appointments for 3 weeks. So she'll call when there's a cancellation. I just had my physical in September.

I had a bad cold a few weeks ago and I never stopped wheezing and the inhalers aren't doing anything for it. Sometimes when I take a deep breath my lung hurts. For some reason I've also been extremely fatigued but no fever.

i still have inhalers - Qvar, Advair, Proair, Dulera. it seems it was singulair that was treating most of my symptoms.

Does this sound right or this receptionist crazy? I was thinking of going to the drs office and trying to talk to someone else.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
namelessme
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User
Re: My prescription expired and I can't get my meds

So your singulair expired? You should simply be able to get a refill by calling in... not like it's a super powerful drug or painkiller that is highly regulated.

If your doctor won't refill it over the phone for whatever bizarre reason, any allergist (or probably family doctor) could prescribe it, including clinic walk-in doctors.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #3
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

Thanks namelessme!

Currently on advair and singulair they both expired. i have 2 more weeks of advair. I can't see the asthma/allergy dr without preapproval that takes like a month to get. I'm currently just seeing the PA as the drs are booked up for months. I had my physical sept 11th. Yeah I still have asthma!

I'll go in the office and start complaining. I had no idea singulair does so much for me.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
namelessme
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

I find it bizarre that the doctor's office wouldn't refill over the phone. Asthma medicines aren't exactly something a doctor prescribes without refills or lets patients go without. You should be able to get a refill of advair automatically as well.

If your doctor has a problem with refills, I'd suggest finding a different doctor.

Anyway, if you find yourself without singulair and gasping for air, you could alternatively try an OTC antihistamine (allegra tends to work best for me).... which isn't the same as singulair of course, but may help a little.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:36 AM   #5
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hannah-

You don't want to speak with the receptionist at your doctors office, speak with a nurse.

This is not a controlled substance, and they can call it in for you until they can see you. Sometimes, they even have samples they can give out to get you through a week or two until they can see you.

If your doctor wont call in something like a life saving inhaler, find another doctor....but in the meantime, do not let your prescriptions run out. Put reminders in your phone or on your calendar to call it in each month whether you need it that day or not, that way you'll always have an extra one at home- and when you get to the last month, you have time to get it filled before you run out!

Old 10-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

Thanks again namelessme and MSNik!

Went to the pharmacy last night they faxed another refill request. Went to the drs office at lunch and spoke to the nurse. He contacted the dr who approved 1 month refills. Went back to the pharmacy at 5, they hadn't heard from the dr.

Had such a bad asthma day I came home and am sitting next to the air purifier eating chocolate!

Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
Hannah1492
(female)

Hannah1492 HB User

Thanks MSNik I became too reliant on the robo phone call to come pick up the medication that I wasn't paying attention at all to the refill dates.

Will make a note to self on this one!

Reply Reply