It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Asthma and reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
    mitch95
    (female)

mitch95 HB User
    Asthma and reflux

I have sever asthma and have attacks regularly. On top of this I also have a rare form esophageal atrisa. I get sever reflux attackes at night which in turn causes asthma attacks. I get pneumonia about 3x a year (often from aspiration) I just got over a sinus cold and pneumonia about a month ago. I had a very bad attack (asthma and reflux) I had sever pain on the right side of my chest, breast, shoulder blade, and it also went down my arm. My stats dropped to about 88% (I have a monitor) but it went back up. Why causes this pain? Should I be worried? It got so bad I considered going to the hospital.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Asthma and reflux

What testing have you had? Do you know the extent your reflux is triggering your asthma?

24 hr pH?
    Manometry?
    Esophagram?
    Barium Swallow?

Underlying issues are important to understand to make sure you are getting the full treatment you need.

Mine became so severe years ago that I ended up needing surgery to get my breathing under control. It took a team of Gastroenterologist, Pulmonologist, ENT, and primary care to finally figure my issues out because the symptoms triggered each other and I had multiple triggers for the same symptoms. Frustrating.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
    mitch95
    (female)

mitch95 HB User

I have had all those tests in the past for my esophagus problems and they havenít found anything. I havenít seen an ENT thought perhaps I should do that next

Old 11-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

How are your PFT's?

Old 11-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #5
    mitch95
    (female)

mitch95 HB User

My PFTs sure between 49% and 55% I get tested every 3 months. Itís always been low 56% is really good for me

Old 12-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Hannah1492 HB UserHannah1492 HB User

I haven't even had asthma a year so I'm a novice. My dr had me get vaccinated against pneumonia- I guess that would be the viral type?

I had gerd like symptoms, burning esophagus, bending down in the evening my mouth sometimes flooded with acid. I took acid blockers 2x/day and a family size bottle of tums every week, occassionally peptobismol swigs. It went on for decades. My mom and my grandmother had reflux I thought that's what happens when you're close to 30! I decided to give up grains and the reflux disappeared. I can eat rice and corn tortillas so life is good.

All you can do is persevere. I once called the dr about asthma in the middle of the night. I couldn't even take a full breath it was swelling around the scapula.. Turned out it was my rotator cuff. It involved collar bone, shoulder and the arms of the muscle go thru the shoulder so the pain went down my arm. Took a few days to reside.

It seems to me what you need is to find 'that' doctor. You're a complicated patient.

Keep you in my thoughts and prayers buddy!

Closed Thread