It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Symbicort 80/4.5 strength

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
smokeymtnrain
(female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User
Symbicort 80/4.5 strength

Hello all,

My question is, for those that use this strength of Symbicort...Do you find that this wears off in about 7 hours? I know they say two puffs twice a day but I have has asthma over 40 years and I have noticed that I can take one puff and it will last me around 36 hours....then I can take another puff and it will last about 7 hours...for the most days I get the 36 hours on one puff but why the inconsistencies? I never have had to take the dosage recommended (because they tend to have you take too much) so I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2018, 06:29 AM   #2
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: Symbicort 80/4.5 strength

smokeymtnrain,

I'm not sure you are using Symbicort correctly or I might be misunderstanding.

Symbicort is a maintenance medication, it needs to be used ever 12 hours. Two puffs every 12 hours.

I use Symbicort. I take 2 puffs at about 6 am and 2 puffs at 6 pm. Symbicort works great for me. I was on Symbicort 160/4.5 for about ten months and have recently been dropped down to the 80/4.5 and I'm doing fine with it.

Last edited by Snoopy61; 03-09-2018 at 06:30 AM.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
smokeymtnrain
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy61 View Post
smokeymtnrain,

I'm not sure you are using Symbicort correctly or I might be misunderstanding.

Symbicort is a maintenance medication, it needs to be used ever 12 hours. Two puffs every 12 hours.

I use Symbicort. I take 2 puffs at about 6 am and 2 puffs at 6 pm. Symbicort works great for me. I was on Symbicort 160/4.5 for about ten months and have recently been dropped down to the 80/4.5 and I'm doing fine with it.
The norm is for Dr's to say two puffs a day twice daily but since I am hypersensitive to most meds, (and I just don't like taking them), one puff normally will last around 36 hours for me. It's just every now and then, one puff doesn't last near that long and just didn't know why. With the side effects to Symbicort, I am Leary of even taking it twice a day.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

What side effects concern you? The only side effect I have had is some hoarseness, that was one of the reasons for decreasing my dosage to the 80/4.5 and the fact it was time to see if my Asthma would do as well on the lower dose.

Unless you use Symbicort as directed consistently there is no way to know if Symbicort will help.

I want to stress Symbicort is a maintenance medication, it's only going to be effective if you use it consistently as directed. Have you used a maintenance medication before? It is different from your rescue inhaler. Symbicort is a combination of 2 medications, one being a long acting Albuterol. If you take it as directed your Asthma has the potential of being more under control than using it the way you are which is giving you inconsistencies.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
smokeymtnrain
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy61 View Post
What side effects concern you? The only side effect I have had is some hoarseness, that was one of the reasons for decreasing my dosage to the 80/4.5 and the fact it was time to see if my Asthma would do as well on the lower dose.

Unless you use Symbicort as directed consistently there is no way to know if Symbicort will help.

I want to stress Symbicort is a maintenance medication, it's only going to be effective if you use it consistently as directed. Have you used a maintenance medication before? It is different from your rescue inhaler. Symbicort is a combination of 2 medications, one being a long acting Albuterol. If you take it as directed your Asthma has the potential of being more under control than using it the way you are which is giving you inconsistencies.
I understand what you are saying. It gives me migraines if I take it for days in a row. I don't like taking meds and then having to take more meds (even over the counter) to combat side effects. I know its kind of a no win situation. That's why I only use it on days when my rescue doesn't rescue that long.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:02 AM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you tried one that is a single med like Flovent?

Old 10-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #7
smokeymtnrain
(female)

No, not Flovent. Is that a rescue inhaler? I took the symbicort yesterday and itís been almost 12 hours and yes, I can feel my breathing start to get a little tight...not too bad though. I had a nasal endoscopy yesterday and apparently whatever they sprayed to numb the nose didnít agree with me as I have had sinus pain like a sinus infection and I didnít have that when I went in. Our weather has changed to cool weather but after the medicine wore off from being numb, I was using my rescue 1 puff every two to three hours so I decided to use the Symbicort. Still having sinus discomfort so I slept most of the day and when I got up I noticed bending over and going up and down stairs kind of winded me. So Iím not sure if itís the weather change or from the procedure which my guess is from the procedure but I also have a sinus headache which is why I donít do the symbicort 2 puffs twice a day because I get migraines from too much of it.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:56 AM   #8
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No Flovent is a single med (steroid only) maintenance drug. Symbicort is a dual med- steroid and albuterol(the rescue med). It is similar to Advair. You might ask your pulmonologist why you are on a dual one and if a single one would work and not be as likely to cause side effects.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
smokeymtnrain
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
No Flovent is a single med (steroid only) maintenance drug. Symbicort is a dual med- steroid and albuterol(the rescue med). It is similar to Advair. You might ask your pulmonologist why you are on a dual one and if a single one would work and not be as likely to cause side effects.
Lol...I think it's the steroid that gives me the side effects.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:54 AM   #10
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

There's only one way to find out-isn't there??? Have you discussed this with your pulmonologist? I''m not sure if any of the non steroidal inhalers have been approved for asthma but you could ask.

Reply Reply