It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Exercise

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-10-2019, 01:42 AM   #1
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Hannah1492 HB User
    Exercise

Last week I had my 3rd incense exposure. I went to a nurse prac. My dr and familiar np recently left the practice. She diagnosed inflamed nose and lungs. She prescribed using my Qvar inhaler I already have and 50 mg prednisone for 10 days.

I've been tired and air deprived mostly as work, but getting better without prednisone, which seemed like an oddly high dose and no tapering prescribed.

I recently started doing cardio with no issues, I resumed today and have been coughing and feeling air deprived again. I've used inhalers 4 times in 7 hours. I realized the qvar expired in nov. I usually use the purple disk inhaler.

What should my action plan look like? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2019, 03:56 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Exercise

Your action plan should look like not exercising until you speak with your doctor and get a new prescription for an inhaler which is not expired.

You should also be on the prendisone. 50 mgs is not high at all - and you will not need a taper down at that level. I take 2000 mgs and do not do a taper down all the time.... you need this to shrink the inflammation in your lungs and nose. If you do not do what the doctor told you to do, you are going to end up not being able to breathe. Please sit home today and call the doctor Monday morning...if you have an urgent care affiliated with the hospital or doctor you saw,(the notes would be in the system) you could do a walk in clinic today to get an updated prescription.

Follow your doctors instructions is always the best action plan.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:06 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

For any cardio (exercise,dancing,etc) you should be premedicating with your albuterol rescue inhaler prior to beginning the cardio. Standard is 2 puffs,60 seconds apart, 15 minutes prior. When I was still jogging, that was my regimen and it worked beautifully.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi Hannah!

I sympathize with your miserable health/asthma nightmare! It's almost impossible to avoid all of the many nasty asthma triggers and once exposed it seems to take several days to fully recover. Those of us who suffer from very sensitive allergic and/or non-allergic asthma have to deal with a lot of ignorance and inconsiderate people.

I'm a lot older than you, at 74. Over the years I've done many things to reduce my asthma and breathing problems, from avoiding chemicals; to avoiding odors; to strictly eating mostly salads and eggs; to doing my own at home Sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT); to having allergy shots; to throwing out a bunch of furniture, home furnishings and rugs, etc.

I've been able to create my home bubble where nothing in this place is an asthma trigger.

I wish that you could get yourself into a "safe place" where it would be easier for you to avoid nasty triggers!

You said that your qvar expired in nov. My fluticasone inhaler expired December 2017. I've tried three times to reduce the dose and three times I've had breathing problems during the night. When I increase the dosage back to "normal" I don't have night time breathing problems, so I guess my fluticasone inhaler is still good even though it expired over a year ago.

I'm wishing you better luck for your future and not having to suffer as much!

Are you still considering going back to a job as a chemist?

Take care... Bob

⇒ My cheap asthma inhaler is Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Hannah1492 HB User

Yes, Macheon chemist good. I am living in an intolerable situation where I can't sleep or breath. All I ever wanted to do is leave calif I don't believe there is any future here for me

MsNik I tried to do what the asthma prescribed the last 2 times. The first time they gave me prednisone 5mg one day and then tapered off over 3. The 2nd time they didn't want me on steroids, had me switch to QVAR and use the rescue up to every hour. The clinic I go to now is beyond a disorganized mess. Every decent medical provider leaves quickly. I took the 50mg prescription to the pharmacy and they told me that tapering is necessary on steroids and I should get a new prescription. I will have to go to urgent care

Thanks titchou I use rescue before cardio and it works great! My workout yesterday was fine it was just the coughing aftermath. I'll use rescue more today.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

How long is your workout session? The premedicating only works for about 45 minutes and then you need to medicate again if the session is longer than 45-60 minutes.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Hannah1492 HB User

I've only gone to the gym for 20 min 3 times in about 3 weeks. The problem is the incense has totalled my lungs and I have nothing health care.

Now it's my job, I have to talk a lot and it's very active.

My throat hurts so much from coughing I could barely swallow cough medicine, the inhalers aren't working. I can't sleep, the coughing keeps me awake.

The only thing I can think of is to go to Urgent Care.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Hannah,

It takes exercise to get the lungs cleared. What already happened doesn't matter now; it's up to us to do the work to take care of our own body.

If someone uses a substance that causes us illness or distress, it is our responsibility to leave the area, go outside, go to a hospital, go back to our parental home, go to a relative's place or whatever it takes. It's our job to take care of our own needs.

We can only choose for ourselves. We cannot choose for other people. I hope you do the work of getting yourself into an appropriate living arrangement, even if it means going back home.

Blessings,

Old 02-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Hannah1492 HB User

I have bronchitis.

I think I have a new place to live. It's the same thing no one speaks English but when I asked about incense there was a pause that was unsettling, at least no more leaking roof, bathroom mold and disgusting kitchen breeding fruit flies in the sink. The washing machine is in the garage, not venting into the room.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-15-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #10
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Hannah,

It's great that you have a diagnosis and a new place to live.

Take care,

Reply Reply