It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Obesity + Asthma = Fatigue???

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Hannah1492 HB UserHannah1492 HB User
    Obesity + Asthma = Fatigue???

My health problems hypothyroid, sleep apnea have been treated. I found a large study on asthma which found patients that were younger, female and obese are significantly fatigued. Is this my problem? Can losing weight improve fatigue if you're asthmatic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Obesity + Asthma = Fatigue???

Hi Hannah!

I've had very sensitive Asthma most of my life, that is under control by taking fluticasone twice a day and avoiding, avoiding, avoiding.

I've also got heart failure, persistent Afib, and worst of all, I am OLD, 74 to be exact.

That being said, I usually feel pretty good every day and have relatively good energy, despite my situation.

I have found, as many others have, that one of the greatest medications that exists is a healthy diet, and the healthier the diet the better the health, IMHO.

When one consumes more carbs than the body can effectively handle, it creates a situation where there is too much Insulin circulating. Insulin is a wonderful hormone but when there is too much of it, it creates all kinds of unhealthy, nasty problems.

I am doing well due to my small meal, balanced, low carb, frequent eating diet of six meals per day of around 1500 total calories, consisting of about 55% fat, 24% carbs and 21% protein. Small, frequent meals might not be possible, but one can always eat a healthier diet, even though starting and staying on a healthy diet is not easy. In fact it is very difficult. One has had to be as sick as I was to be forced on a diet like mine.

Just wanted to put in my two cents. Good luck and I hope that you can overcome your health problems.

Take care, Bob!

⇒ Cheap effective asthma inhaler: Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Absolutely being overweight can impact your asthma negatively. It's extra drag on all your organs...if you were normal weight with asthma and tried to carry something that weighs the amount you are overweight, you're breathing would be labored.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #4
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Macheon,
    you make a good point. I currently work at 2 convenience stores and have a bad candy habit going. Then I feel brain fogged and fatigued and hit the energy drinks. My boss says it's going to kill me some day.

We sell lunch meat and nuts, there are other things I can grab. I think if I stop going so long to eat I can think more rationally about food.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:20 PM   #5
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Titchou,
    that is so true, I doubt I could lift my extra pounds.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:15 AM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi Hannah!

2 convenience stores!? I hope not one after another. Those would be long days on your feet! I imagine it is also stressful working with the public. (ugh!).

Quote:
    and have a bad candy habit going. Then I feel brain fogged and fatigued
    That's your body telling you that it can't handle the extra carbs. Brain fog and fatigue and other uncomfortable symptoms are happening because of the blood sugar and insulin overload. Brain fog and fatigue are also common symptoms of asthma and allergies.

Hannah, there are some really good protein snack bars available that are reasonably low carb and relatively inexpensive and also there are many that are very tasty. For instance, I eat four protein bars per day. Each one is about 18 grams of carbs minus about 3 grams of fiber for a net of about 15 grams of carbs. I cut them in half. When I eat one half, I nibble on it so it lasts a little bit. There's about 90 minutes in between eating. By doing this, I have learned that, if I wait just a little longer, I will be rewarded by another snack or meal. So... instead of continuously snacking, I am watching to clock for my next reward!

Anyways... you've probably heard all this many times before, but I figured, what the hell, I'll just post my thoughts to you.

Enjoy your day, Bob

⇒ Cheap effective asthma inhaler: Fluticasone Nasal Spray!

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily

Old 05-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #7
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Thanks Bob!

The protein bars are a great idea. I have so far not lived in any places where I can cook. I have constant problems with roommates to the point I will probably live in my car for a while by choice.

I love my customers, I get paid to stand around and talk all day. If I can ever finish my license I think I'll love my patients too.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:22 AM   #8
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Being overweight can zap your energy and cause fatigue, but if you are already having asthma problems, the extra weight can cause you even further fatigue.
    Please talk to your doctors about helping you get the weight off and controlling your asthma...it could be a life changer for you to do so!

Old 05-03-2019, 06:13 AM   #9
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Thanks Nik I will follow your advise.

This year I have spent 3 months having some very bad asthma. I moved to a new healthier place only to have a roommate that stole my medication for a sinus infection that ended up getting completely out of hand. I'm still having the sinus problems and a slight infection all the time.

Reply Reply

« Asthma & Keto | - »