It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• I quit my job, can I get unemployment for asthma issue?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Hannah1492 HB UserHannah1492 HB User
    I quit my job, can I get unemployment for asthma issue?

The new big manager at my job has a thing for air freshner. When I came into work I would move them away from me, wrap them in paper towels, stick them in the refrigerator and the like.

When I came into work one day the spraying type had been mounted near the ceiling at the time clock, lunchroom, restroom and supply cabinet. I had 6 ashma attacks in 2 days and went home early each day. I called the corporate office and left a detailed message, then I saw my asthma dr that wrote a letter saying I was unable to work in that environment and I quit.

I received a letter that I have been awarded unemployment but still have to do the interview as to whether it was a legitimate reason to quit this Friday.

I have multiple chemical sensitivity so each exposure makes the reaction stronger which is why I believe I had so many attacks. When I have those attacks it is like being punched in the face, my eyes burn, my sinuses burn, my nose runs, my head spins and I have the asthma attack.

All the managers I worked with closely knew I had the problem since I had previously mentioned that I couldn't stand their perfume.

Did I do the right things?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: I quit my job, can I get unemployment for asthma issue?

I think you did the right thing; what else could you do? That was a good decision to get your doctor to write a letter backing you up on your reason for leaving, and you were awarded unemployment. So all you need to do now is be interviewed, which is probably just a formality and nothing to worry about.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

I used to have asthma but don't anymore. However, when I stayed overnight at a relative's house, there were plug-in air fresheners everywhere and I couldn't sleep. It felt like the perfume/chemicals were building up in my throat. I eventually decided to get up and search for them and unplug them. Asthma or not, those things are offensive.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I think it may have been able to resolved without going to such drastic measures. This is what your HR department is there for. If it was me, I would have tried that first, and if that didn't work, I might have tried to get on short term disability from work. This might have prompted them to change things regarding the air fresheners. Without your job, what are you going to do for your health insurance? I think you made a rash decision, but you know best.....

Old 07-31-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Hannah,

To get unemployment you may have needed to consult with the manager to be moved to a different area rather than to have quit. I have chemical sensitivities, myself, but being a quitter for any reason does not ever help on a resume.

It's always the right thing to look after our own needs. Which means it's up to us to find other employment if we dislike how a business is run, so whether you can get unemployment benefits is the judgement call of the employment office personnel.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:46 AM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You are kind of in a predicament. Your doctors note was enough to force them to either stop, or move you to an area where there was nothing to trigger your reaction.

Because you quit without giving them a chance to rectify the situation- you may not be able to collect unemployment. You can fight it, and your doctors note will help, but this may not be as easy as you think.

Why didn't you give them a chance to move you or stop using the air freshers? You know you just gave up your benefits..

Old 08-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
    Hannah1492
    (female)

I'm not familiar at all with unemployment but it sure is motivating me to job search so I can post jobs to them.

I didn't have any benefits with this company, it was the type of medical insurace that has a high deductible so I took the free state insurance with the not so great doctors. I didn't have vacation time and only 3 sick days per year.

I don't think they would have moved them, once I opened a bottle someone had put under the counter without the cap. It turned out to be gum remover and it spilled all over me. They told me to write a resignation letter. I had gone 2x before just from the air freshners in the employee lounge, they never made a move to fix anything.

Reassignment wouldn't have worked in this case as the air freshners were located in the common areas - time clock, lounge, supply closet, restroom.

I live in a welfare state so the state will take over my support if unemployment doesn't kick in.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Unless you were there under 90 days or if you only worked less than 20 hours a week- you are federally entitled to certain Paid time off...call it sick time or vacation time or PTO- its required by law.

You have rights...and it looks like you might have to exercise these rights when you have the meeting with unemployment. I would try to get an appointment with a free clinic to find out about your worker's rights. You can probably look them up specific to your state- online. Good luck.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-09-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Hurray - company induced asthma attacks are a legit unemployment issue!!

Last edited by Administrator; 08-09-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #9
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Congratulations, Hannah!

I have very sensitive asthma, but fortunately, being retired, I can avoid the triggers at work, like the pesticides that were sprayed and cleaning chemicals that were used!

You've suffered quite a bit. You deserved some good news and a break! I hope you get unemployment without any problems!

Regards, Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Reply