It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Age of onset?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #1
    twinsister1961

twinsister1961 HB User
    Age of onset?

Iím 58 and just been diagnosed with asthma. My symptoms started in 2005 and have came and gone since then but this month I felt what I called a flare and was having trouble breathing out. I started symbacort and that seems to have helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Age of onset ?

Were you diagnosed through testing?

I was 28 when diagnosed, but symptoms were long before as I looked back. It also runs in my family.

My asthma is cough variant and more intrinsic than extrensic....meaning colds/flu, sinus infection , laughing, yelling, etc can cause issues.

You being on Symbicort is good....do you have a rescue inhaler as well?

Have you been checked for reflux? Those symptoms can feel like asthma sometimes.

q

Old 09-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
    twinsister1961

twinsister1961 HB User

I have had shortness of breath off and on for 15 years but my pulmonary function test was always normal and normal CT. Itís been really frustrating. My eosinophils has been elevated for the last 3 years but no one ever said anything about it. I just looked at my records after this last episode a few weeks ago just trying to put this together a bit oh and my hemoglobins are currently just a tad evevated. I think really I just got inhalers from my primary care Dr because I insisted until I get in to see a pulmonologist at the end of Oct. My problem this time was shortness of breath walking and at rest but it was hard to breath out, is that unusual?? I do also have a rescue inhaler and it seems to have helped a lot. So frustrating!! 😤

Old 09-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had walking pneumonia at 50 and was dxed with asthma after getting over it. Lot's of things can bring it on at any age.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
    twinsister1961

twinsister1961 HB User

Thanks for sharing your info with me.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...youre welcome!
    How high eosiniphils? Have you had sputum test for them?
    Eosiniphilic Asthma comes to mind.

q

Old 09-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

twinsister1961, my asthma developed after a bad reaction to a live flu vaccine 55 years ago when I was 21. That stupid live flu shot caused me to suffer from numerous asthma triggers for decades!

Fortunately, through a series of allergy shots (SCIT) and Sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) and avoiding asthma triggers, my asthma is really well controlled.

Have any of your doctors/allergists suggested either SCIT or SLIT allergy treatments?

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
    twinsister1961

twinsister1961 HB User
    Re: Age of onset?

I have an apt with a Pulmonologist at the end of October and hopefully will get this figured out soon. Thank you all for taking the time to help me out.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Please let us know how you're doing in the meantime. Good your appointment is made.
    q

Old 09-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #10
    twinsister1961

twinsister1961 HB User

Than you guys so much. I am feeling better and will certainly think about allergy testing also.

Reply Reply