It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Asthma and reflux question

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #1
    cfdr
    (female)

cfdr HB User
    Asthma and reflux question

I've had asthma for 30 years, always well controlled with advair and montelukast. My inhalers would reach their expiration date long before I would use them up.

In the last 7 months, my asthma has gotten much worse: specifically, I get terrible bouts of productive coughing. My peak flow barely drops at all, though, nor does my pulse ox, so as awful as these bouts feel and sound, they are not emergencies.

My doctor has suggested the worsening could be due to reflux (I have no issues with heartburn, so it would likely be LPR, not GERD), and has put me on a trial run of Pepcid. I've also been experimenting with alkaline water (water with a bit of baking soda) and Gaviscon Advanced. I am not on a strict anti-reflux diet but am backing off on the offending foods as much as possible, and keeping a log of symptoms.

So, the question: for those of you whose asthma is exacerbated by reflux, do the offending food result in an immediate or near-immediate response? E.g., if you drink a cup of coffee or have a slice of pizza, do you start coughing soon thereafter? Or is it a more general effect, that the less you eat of offending foods, the less often you have asthma issues? I have not been able to discern any pattern between my eating habits and asthma.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Asthma and reflux question

What do you mean about your meds expiry date...are you not taking them regularly?

You should have an upper scope to make sure whether it is reflux or not...or an ENT who can do a scope to see if there is evidence of reflux in that area. I have both, plus Sjogren's, so the dryness in my lower throat/ larynx area has a constant glob of spit there. Some days it feels like I need a hit of my rescue. Only on the days that it causes more coughing or discomfort do I take it.

q

Old 12-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
    cfdr
    (female)

cfdr HB User

I meant specifically the albuterol rescue inhaler, that I am to use as needed, but generally I have not needed it until recently. I take the others daily.

My follow-up with my GP is early January, then I leave the country for 6 weeks soon after, but hopefully can get some testing done in March. Until then, though, it's unlikely I'll be able to do anything but trial and error.

If you have one of the restricted foods -- e.g. wine, coffee, spicy food -- do you feel it right away? Or is there a delay in symptoms?

Old 12-08-2021, 10:59 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

You would be wiser to use an acid reducer such as Zantac or pepcid AC (not the complete one), before trying a PPI med, to see if symptoms improve. I haven't cut out food...but you could try that route and see if it helps. Remember that reflux is a mechanical issue...but if you lessen foods that increase acidity, there will be less inflammation and erosion when the stomach acid hits the esophagus. I would say that you should feel some improvement...also eat quite a fair amount of time before bedtime.

Let us know what the outcome is of your dr appt.

q

Reply Reply

Tags
    gerd, lpr, reflux