It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Advair Concerns

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-16-2022, 02:26 PM   #1
    chanceywild
    (male)

chanceywild HB User
    Advair Concerns

I have always had reasonably mild asthma, requiring only occasional inhaler usage. I am a mountaineer and quite active. The primary issue was we could not stop me from getting constant lung infections in winter. So, pulmonologist put me on Advair 250 summer/Advair 500 winter about 10 years ago and I have used daily ever since. He felt having the airways open further might benefit, but lung function was excellent then.

Last year I began experiencing what I thought was something new, I started getting ab type contractions including diaphragm region that was absolutely impeding lung function and making asthma go off the charts. Was not infection, treated with clonazepam to help. The flare ups last about a week to ten days and just go away. It started again this winter.

After some research, it dawned on me that I only use the stronger Advair in winter. I also began researching "anxiety" type problems going back several winters and found they started about the same time I started Advair.

I feel this drug is harming me and my lungs but cannot get off of it yet. For one, I have been on a long time and my Pulmonologist is old school and only believes in Advair. He will not try new meds because he says it is not a good time during a pandemic. I go to a new doctor in February and will be pushing to try Symbicort Dulara or anything else. Anyone else had such a long-term experience with Advair? Until last winter it was pretty subtle and not clear that it was the problem. Ideas for a non-steroid product? Thank you-this is my first post as I have just joined your group seeking some help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2022, 05:18 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Advair Concerns

You may need a single med product like Flovent, etc. The albuterol in the Advair may be the issue. Then just have an albuterol inhaler as its intended as a rescue inhaler!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    chanceywild (01-17-2022)
    Old 01-17-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

You could try separate like Pulmicort (steroid), Oxeze (long acting) and increase each as needed. As well, a salbutamol for rescue...I use all of the above and Airomir for rescue.

Have you had a chest x-ray recently?

q

Old 01-18-2022, 05:15 PM   #4
    chanceywild
    (male)

chanceywild HB User

I have had both X-Rays and CATSCAN in past several months.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:15 PM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Have you been checked for reflux? An upper scope could be helpful. That can definitely feel like asthma shortness of breath.
    The other thought is to see a cardiologist...

q

Old 01-19-2022, 01:55 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chanceywild View Post
    I have had both X-Rays and CATSCAN in past several months.
    Those tests have nothing to do with asthma. You need breathing testing.

Reply Reply