It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• What if prednisone doesn't work 100%

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-24-2003, 08:27 AM   #1
    mineemowse
    (female)

mineemowse HB User
    What if prednisone doesn't work 100%

Hi all. Went to the pulmonologist last week with coughing, phlegm, etc. that has been an ongoing issue since September. We figured one of my part-time jobs (old building, possible mold, 2 smokers) could be the trigger since I have had asthma very mildly for 10 years with no HUGE problems until this year. He took me off of everything GP put me on and said just to use the Singular, albuteral inhaler when needed and prednisone and this should (hopefully) do the trick. He'll see me on January 8 to begin pulmonary function tests to see what meds I should be on to maintain. My question is, as it's only been a week, I take 4 prednisone per day and find very little (but some) relief from where I was a week ago. I still have a very deep, congested cough with no infection (as phlegm is white), but...gee...what if the prednisone doesn't make it any better than this....could there be any other condition? I had two chest x-rays at the heart of my illness, and he said they were clear. Since I had had prednisone before a month or so ago, but not in such large doses, and it had done about what it is doing now...he said that that "bothered" him, that the steroid didn't clear up the problem quicker--so now he upped the dose for a longer period of time until we can get me "even"...anyway, once again, what may be my options here? Is he just thinking asthma or is there something else he could be considering and not saying? Thanks all and a Merry Christmas to you!~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2003, 02:04 PM   #2
    bluebanana
    Veteran
    (female)

bluebanana HB User
    Re: What if prednisone doesn't work 100%

Hi
    What dose are you on? Different tablets are different strengths. It seems a bit odd to me to be put on pred and taken off everything else? I'm on it but as a last resort, I'm on maximum doses of all my other meds. Maybe he is trying to get you stable to try new medication. Asthma can be difficult to treat and it can take a while for any new treatment to work. Once they have found the right treatment for you, you will be better, I hope. If they keep you on high doses of pred for too long I would question your doctor. Lots of side effects associated with it.
    Good luck and have a great christmas.
    x x x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Take care

Old 12-24-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
    mineemowse
    (female)

mineemowse HB User

Thanks for answering so quickly. He has me on 4 tabs 10 mg. per day. Is interfering a bit with my sleep. You hit the nail right on the head. He is getting me "normal" to see what meds I need after asthma breathing tests. Thanks again and a very merry Christmas to you and yours

Old 12-24-2003, 07:31 PM   #4
    monacks

monacks HB User

The prednisone should kick in soon. I was on it for a few months one time due to pneoumonia and it took a while.

I hear you about being sick. I've been sick for three solid months now. It keeps coming and going, but I'm still coughing. Not as bad as what you described, but still a lingering cough. I've taken three rounds of antibiotics and was on prednisone for 2 weeks. At one point I had no voice for 3 weeks and I still don't have my full vocal range. My dr said I caught some kind of virus and I'm just supposed to wait it out.

What your dr is doing sounds good though. You would hate to be over medicated if you don't need it. Every year or so, my dr switches around my medicine cocktail (I call it that, because there's so many of them!). Plus there always seems to be something new out there.

Old 12-27-2003, 01:03 AM   #5
    wrin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wrin HB User

Oogh hearing about this makes me not want to go to my dr. with the phlegm problem because I don't want to get put on Pred. X.x;

Old 12-27-2003, 08:36 AM   #6
    monacks

monacks HB User

I know wrin - I hate being on prednisone. It makes me so wired that I can't rest - I end up deep cleaning my house, which makes me even sicker due to the dust. And of course I get so bloated.

Closed Thread