It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Magnesium And Asthma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2003, 04:29 AM   #1
    LAREDOGRL

LAREDOGRL HB User
    Magnesium And Asthma

HAS ANYONE READ UP ABOUT THE GOOD THINGS MAGNESIUM SUPPLEMENTS DO IN REGARD TO ASTHMA?

I'VE BEEN READING ALOT ABOUT THE CONNECTION, ANYONE ELSE????

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.

jEANIE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2003, 01:57 AM   #2
    wrin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wrin HB User
    Re: Magnesium And Asthma

Magnesium in and of itself is a bronchodilator.

That said;

Do not overload on non-dietary (pill- and supplement-form) magnesium. Having too much magnesium in your body puts an extra strain on your kidneys and liver, who have to do the work of eliminating it. If they can't eliminate it all, it could build up in your blood and result in muscle weakness, loss of reflexes, low blood pressure, heart arrhythmias, and even cardiac arrest. It also can interfere with your clotting mechanisms and make you produce clots when you don't have to -- potentially causing a stroke, a pulmonary embolus, or a heart attack.

What you should do is make sure to get enough green leafy vegetables (which contain tons of dietary, easy-to-absorb magnesium without overloading your kidneys,) which will maintain your blood levels at normal levels.

More is not better. More just means your body will excrete more. Your body is incredibly good at regulating magnesium levels, with your bone acting as a reservoir, just like calcium.

Closed Thread