It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Asthma /the nasal/and allergies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
    happy4health

happy4health HB User
    Asthma /the nasal/and allergies

Hi

I'm new to the board. I look forward to using the forum to gather info and share experiences.
    Iwas diagnosed with asthma several years ago, because of a sinus infection. Lately my sinuses have been fine. But I seem to have nasal congestion? Do alot of asthmatics have this problem.

My asthma is a adult onset. I was wondering if you can acquire an allergy to something(like a cat) if you never had the allergy? I'm going to ask my doctor during my next visit. But I like to informed on things my doctor might not be aware of(the internet helps alot) I have cats now and have had no extreme reaction I sometimes go weeks without astma symptoms. I really don't know if I should consider this an issue. I've tried looking for info on the net, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for..... I have hayfever (Yr round)and am going to sk my dr what medicine to take And if there is a medicine that might help with mutiple allergies.

PS My asthma (when I have an episode ) is usually once a week. Thank you for any info. Iplan on going to an allergist if my dr thinks that's warranted.

Last edited by happy4health; 02-24-2004 at 04:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2004, 08:25 PM   #2
    bluebanana
    Veteran
    (female)

bluebanana HB User
    Re: Asthma /the nasal/and allergies

Hello
    If you have asthma then it is likely that you have allergies. I can tell if an attack is coming if my eyes get itchy and my nose is blocked! If you have an allergy which affects your lungs then it is fairly likely than it will affect your nasal passages and sinuses. I would go and get skin tests to find out what you are allergic to, they will also tell you what to do to minimise your exposure to the things you are allergic to. I have severe asthma and have an allergy to cats and still have a cat at home. It can be worked around. I don't let it sleep on my bed or come into my bed room or go on the furniture, like the sofa. and wash my hands after handling it.
    You could try something like piriton or zirtec, both of which are an antihistamine, and are available over the counter from a pharmasist.
    Take care and I hope this helps a bit.
    x x x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Take care

Old 02-24-2004, 11:09 PM   #3
    PinkBananaz

PinkBananaz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by happy4health
    Hi

I'm new to the board. I look forward to using the forum to gather info and share experiences.
    Iwas diagnosed with asthma several years ago, because of a sinus infection. Lately my sinuses have been fine. But I seem to have nasal congestion? Do alot of asthmatics have this problem.

My asthma is a adult onset. I was wondering if you can acquire an allergy to something(like a cat) if you never had the allergy? I'm going to ask my doctor during my next visit. But I like to informed on things my doctor might not be aware of(the internet helps alot) I have cats now and have had no extreme reaction I sometimes go weeks without astma symptoms. I really don't know if I should consider this an issue. I've tried looking for info on the net, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for..... I have hayfever (Yr round)and am going to sk my dr what medicine to take And if there is a medicine that might help with mutiple allergies.

PS My asthma (when I have an episode ) is usually once a week. Thank you for any info. Iplan on going to an allergist if my dr thinks that's warranted.
    Yup yup. My dad developed anaphylaxis to iodine after years of eating and loving shellfish at the ripe age of 56. I have asthma as well as pretty bad sinus & ear/throat problems, which do coincide with each other. Even when I feel fine, my sinuses are congested, and my ear/throat are swollen, but they've been that way for years now so I barely even notice that.
    An allergist sounds like a great idea. You can be tested for your allergies and then put on the appropriate treatment(allergy shots possibly), an antihistamine to stop the allergic reaction and maybe even a steroid nasal spray for the congestion, also singulair helps with allergies and allergic asthma.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
    monacks

monacks HB User
    Smile Re: Asthma /the nasal/and allergies

Yes, you can develop an allergy actually at any time, even if you were never allergic before. Definately go see an allergist. Just keep in mind that some people (like me) don't test positive to the things they are allergic to. I have a cat and am allergic to it, but never tested positive. But I know I am allergic, because whenever he comes and sits on my lap, I start wheezing and my eyes start watering. With that being said, I didn't have a cat for about 5 years (between cats) and my asthma symptoms never got worse or better, so that's why I continue to have a cat.

My nose is stuffed all the time and I seem to have a chronic sinus infection. That seems to coincide with the asthma. This board and the internet has been extremely helpful for me. I feel like its good to be prepared when I go to the dr too!

Old 02-27-2004, 06:05 AM   #5
    happy4health

happy4health HB User

I don't seem to have a reaction to my cats. I'll do some discussing of this with my doctor about this issue. you all were a help to me thanks.....

Old 02-27-2004, 08:59 AM   #6
    maffie

maffie HB User
    Talking Re: Asthma /the nasal/and allergies

Hi, I'm new here too... when I read your post I was just struck at how much you like me. I fought for over a year trying to get help and finally wound up in the ER only to be diagnosed with asthma, chronic sinusitus and allergies. I had to have sinus surgery a year ago for my polyps and to remove massive infection that wouldn't respond to the anti-b's.
    You may want to consider going to an allergist to get a work-up done. My ENT is hoping that the allergy shots will help me with the sinus/polyp/asthma issues but to be honest with me he said that it seems to only help 50% of his patients. (I'm desperate though so I'm trying them.) You can develop an allergy to something that never caused you problems before so I do hope that you don't have problems with your cats. You might want to consider keeping them out of your bedroom, kind of an "allergy free zone". Good luck!!
    lin

Old 02-28-2004, 05:46 PM   #7
    Sandson

Sandson HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by happy4health
    Hi

Happy:

Welcome to the board! I have allergies(grass,dust,pollen, wagweed,mold, soybeans) and been an asthmatic for 20 years. Like yourself, I am cat lover. As for allergies to cat dander, you don't have much to worry about because after having cats around you for a while you become immune to the dander in their hair which causes the allergies. In regards to allergy treatment, you night want to consider getting an allergy test which will better determine your course of treatment.

I know that it can be rough dealing with asthma and allegies. Hang in there!

Old 02-29-2004, 03:37 PM   #8
    monacks

monacks HB User

Another option for the cat allergy: they have something that you can put a few drops on the cat's food once per day. I can't remember the name of it right now. It is a tranquilizer and supposedly kills the allergens on their tongue, which they then transfer to their fur. You get it at the vet. I was doing it for a while with my cat and it seemed to help. But it was just another thing I had to keep refilling and I got lazy and stopped doing it. But it might be helpful for the first few months.

Closed Thread