It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• mixing nebs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2001, 12:25 PM   #1
    wrin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wrin HB User
    Post mixing nebs

Something interesting I learned from the RTs at my local hospital -- mixing nebules apparently is double plus bad! From what I understand, like 98% of all the medications that come in the nebules (respules, sterinebs, whatever) contain preservatives, unless they're specifically marked preservative free. As much as we may know that some drugs just don't mix (like how atrovent isn't a good thing to mix with other drugs) we don't know exactly which preservatives are in these nebules! The situation that she presented to me was this: that once the nebules are mixed in the nebulizer, the preservatives could either counteract or interact, meaning they could cause a reaction where they increase the effect of the medications or cause them not to work.

Apparently the best way to go about mixing medications together if you Absolutely Have To (and she stressed it shouldn't be done at all in the first place but it's done all the time anyway) is to keep consistent with the brands -- like mixing two sterinebs from the same company might not cause as many problems as just throwing whatever inside the nebulizer.

This makes a lot of sense to me -- anybody else's comments?

I know it saves so much more time, but still...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2001, 05:22 AM   #2
    rosalita100us

rosalita100us HB User
    That's interesting. Your talking about the mixing of drugs in a nebulizer. I have the two seperate packs of drugs that make combivent(can't think of their names) and my pulmonoligist said i could mix them in the nebulizer. I asked the pharmacist too, and she said yes. Maybe its just those two drugs that are o.k.

Old 10-03-2001, 08:13 PM   #3
    wrin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wrin HB User
    Perhaps it could be the brand-name thing too. the preservatives are ok. I don't know -- this is only one source and if you've had no trouble I can't see a reason, just throwing in my two cents

Closed Thread