It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Quesiton about Singulair for my 4-1/2 yr old son

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2004, 06:05 AM   #1
    borak
    (female)

borak HB User
    Quesiton about Singulair for my 4-1/2 yr old son

Hi,

My 4yr 8months son has asthma. He usually gets it with cold, running nose and sneezing, he coughs a lot when he has asthma. Is it allergic asthma? His doctor gave him Singulair samples to try. My question is, on the singulair sample packet, its written that it is 'For seasonal allergies'. Is it used for controlling asthma? Does the same singulair treatment works for both asthma and seasonal allergies or is the treatment different? Has anyone used this for their 4-5year old kids? How did it work? What were the side effects that your kids got? I think its for long term use, does my son have to use it for years together?

We use albuterol for him, but I think he doesn't take it in properly. When we use spacer, he does it so fast that it does not work. What suggesions can you give, please help.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
    monacks

monacks HB User
    Re: Quesiton about Singulair for my 4-1/2 yr old son

My son whose 2 now, got pneumonia a year ago and several colds all last winter. So in September, the dr put him on Singulair and Flovent for the winter months. She said she hoped that this would help him not get so sick this year. So far its worked like a charm. He has had a few minor colds, but no croup, severe chest congestion. I haven't noticed any side effects. Possibly it makes him sleep stronger, but that's about it. He is only going to take it for another month or so and then stop, probably until next winter. I have asthma and take Singulair every day all the time. It is used to treat both asthma and allergies I believe. I would think that giving him the pill is much better than having him inhale albuterol all the time. Albuterol increases your heart rate, makes you shakey, hyper. Good luck! At least the pill is chewable and it tastes fairly good, so there's no problem getting the kids to take it.

Old 02-27-2004, 02:57 PM   #3
    reader1
    Veteran

reader1 HB User
    Re: Quesiton about Singulair for my 4-1/2 yr old son

Quote:
    Originally Posted by borak
    Hi,

My 4yr 8months son has asthma. He usually gets it with cold, running nose and sneezing, he coughs a lot when he has asthma. Is it allergic asthma? His doctor gave him Singulair samples to try. My question is, on the singulair sample packet, its written that it is 'For seasonal allergies'. Is it used for controlling asthma? Does the same singulair treatment works for both asthma and seasonal allergies or is the treatment different? Has anyone used this for their 4-5year old kids? How did it work? What were the side effects that your kids got? I think its for long term use, does my son have to use it for years together?

We use albuterol for him, but I think he doesn't take it in properly. When we use spacer, he does it so fast that it does not work. What suggesions can you give, please help.

Thanks in advance.

In my area, Singulair is commonly given to young children with allergic asthma (ages 3 & 4). Many of them seem to do very well with it. (It doesn't do anything for me, but I'm pretty severely allergic.) If you go to the National Jewish Hospital website, you can read up on Singulair and how it works. There is probably even a Singulair website. As to the albuterol, talk to your doctor's nurse about administration and/or call you local health department and see if there is someone who'll watch you administer the albuterol to your son and see what you need to do to get the medicine in him most effectively.

Good luck!

Closed Thread