It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

Wrin - thanks!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2002, 05:13 PM   #1
Lei

Lei HB User
Post Wrin - thanks!

Hey, wrin - thank you for replying to my original post - as I said, I usually post at the chronic pain board, and many of us don't like to see a question go unanswered, because no question is stupid, and everyone deserves an answer. Thank you very much.

Thanks for explaining those tests. Yes, I had that methacholine test, and failed it the first time! As soon as I inhaled it, I started tightening up, wheezing, coughing, and I thought I was gonna almost not make it right there, but I knew she wouldn't let anything happen to me. She said something about "30 percent" and said 20 percent was significant, and I was at 30. Do you know what that means?

Thanks again!

Leisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2002, 09:43 PM   #2
wrin
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
that usually means a change in a particular value, usually FEV1 (forced expiratory volume in the first second of a breath) or PEF (peak expiratory flow) which both are relatively reliable measurements of constriction.

I'm assuming that in this case it would mean one of two things -- if it got said right after you did the methacholine in the nebulizer it could mean a 30% reduction in values or if it got said right after you got a bronchodilator it could mean a 30% increase in values (I'm betting on the former.)

a 20% change is significant in either direction. Anything smaller is negligible because the methacholine is an irritant, and in high high doses can cause mild problems in people who aren't even all that asthmatic... and opposite with the Ventolin.

Closed Thread